Signing In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing In

When I come to the site I have to sign in to post anything. On the old site unless I was using a different browser from my last visit it recognized me and signed me in automatically. I kept hoping it would cease to matter if I used a different browser and now guess what it indeed doesn't matter ROFL. Seriously, am I doing something wrong or does management wish for me to have to sign in for each visit if I wish to post? It's not a big deal but if there is a way to go back to auto recognition I would like to do that.

Since someone seems likely to ask I will explain why I approach the site on two different browsers. I would like to always approach it on Firefox which is my preferred browser. That happens when I click the link on the Web CD UNLESS I have IE open in which case my most recently opened tab in IE comes to the site. I use IE only because there are sites including but not limited to Microsoft Update sites where FF does not work. And yes I do have a plug in for FF to embed IE within FF but I find it easier for many sites to go on and use IE the regular way.

When you log in, there's a check box labeled "Remember Me." Check the box the next time you login.

If that doesn't work, you may have your browser set to delete cookies.

Comment

Your cookies likely crumbled

Originally posted by erchess View Post
      When I come to the site I have to sign in to post anything. On the old site unless I was using a different browser from my last visit it recognized me and signed me in automatically. I kept hoping it would cease to matter if I used a different browser and now guess what it indeed doesn't matter ROFL. Seriously, am I doing something wrong or does management wish for me to have to sign in for each visit if I wish to post? It's not a big deal but if there is a way to go back to auto recognition I would like to do that.

Since someone seems likely to ask I will explain why I approach the site on two different browsers. I would like to always approach it on Firefox which is my preferred browser. That happens when I click the link on the Web CD UNLESS I have IE open in which case my most recently opened tab in IE comes to the site. I use IE only because there are sites including but not limited to Microsoft Update sites where FF does not work. And yes I do have a plug in for FF to embed IE within FF but I find it easier for many sites to go on and use IE the regular way.
      You got my curiosity up, so I went and visited seldom-used Firefox. The TTB message boards did not "know" me, apparently with the arrival of the new boards. I typed in my ID/password, and all is now well in both IE/FF lands.

Gary2 makes a valid point: Be sure your cookies are staying around for the next use. Also, FWIW, I never "log out" of the TTB boards. Don't know if that is an issue or not, especially as related to message board viewing/posting history, such as "next unread" button et al. ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!")

FE

Comment

Having the Same Problem-Delete Cookies

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
        When you log in, there's a check box labeled "Remember Me." Check the box the next time you login.

If that doesn't work, you may have your browser set to delete cookies.

I'm having the same problem as Erchess. Just started doing that so I have to log in every time. Can you explain the "cookies" problem and how I can fix this?

Comment

TY All

I am back on in FF and it recognized me. Maybe before I was alternating browsers.....

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
            I'm having the same problem as Erchess. Just started doing that so I have to log in every time. Can you explain the "cookies" problem and how I can fix this?
            First, I mentioned that to Erchess because he mentioned using two browsers. If you're only using one browser, and haven't upgraded that browser recently or changed its settings recently, and if you don't see the problem with other sites, then the odds of cookies being the problem are much, much less.

And since many sites do perverse things, like unchecking a box after you've checked it if you make a mistake in a password, I encourage going very slowly to make sure the Remember Me box is really checked the next time you log in. (Or it could be silly things like double clicking, which my fingers have been known to do without my permission.)

Having said that, browsers store and control cookies in different ways, so I can't give precise instructions without knowing your browser, and then, only if it's one I have installed. But usually, somewhere in either privacy settings (first choice) or security settings (second choice), there will be some cookie options. The two basic ones are "delete all cookies after exiting" and "keep cookies until they expire." If you're using the first, or anything that suggests deleting cookies before they expire, then you'll be forced to login more often than you expect.

Comment

Related question

Regardless of the browser being used, is it possible the relevant cookies get cleared whenever you log out?

( There is a substantial difference between "remembering" a user name and doing the same for session cookies. )

On this board, if you click Log Out you get an immediate inquiry "Are you sure you want to log out?"

FWIW, as I mentioned above, I never log out here. And even using that approach, I note that the "Go to first new post" button and other stuff frequently get automatically reset....maybe weekly?? That tends to get on my nerves for a thread with multiple posts, and I KNOW I've previously reviewed most of them.

FE

Comment

Working...
              X