Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Expense Question-Study Test-Expected Answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Expense Question-Study Test-Expected Answer?

In July, the taxpayer moved over 50 miles from his old home to old employer, to his new employer which was over 50 miles from his old home. Not sure if I worded this correctly but qualified for the moving expense deduction for the distance test.

Question:
    A. The taxpayer meets the time test, but not the distance test.
    B. The taxpayer meets the distance test, but not the time test.
    D. The taxpayer meets the time and distance test and can deduct the expenses.

The taxpayer didn't meet the time test but according to the rules, can deduct the moving expense if they expect to meet the time test in the future.

What answer do you think the test-giver is expecting?

Was there an answer C?

With review and study questions, you're going to run into poorly worded questions where you understand all the substantive issues backwards and forwards, but don't know how to guess at the ambiguity due to the poor wording (or deliberate, but questionable, obtuseness). If I'm confident I know the subject matter, I'll just look at the answer and move on, or not worry about it if I can't get the expected answer immediately.

In this case, I think you've stated what the best answer should be.

Comment

Clarification needed

I think the question and/or the answers shown here are problematic.

If the minimal distance requirement is not met, time will never change anything.

If the minimal distance requirement is met, whether the time factor is/will be/might not be met can then become a relevant factor in claiming any moving expenses.

FE

Comment

Working...
      X