Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accountant and CPA not related professions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veritas View Post
    Do I detect the IRS was losing on this and wrote the reg to put the kabosh on those sneaky accountants?
    Actually, I really don't believe so. The original Reg §1.162-5 was written in 1958 and was amended in 1967. No change since that time.

The Courts (ex Sandt CA3) agreed with the IRS on the "primary purpose" of education in the 1958 regulations. The 1967 amendment sought to offer more objective criteria, removed that concept of subjective intent and also stated "all teaching and related duties shall be considered to involve the same general type of work". Those are the words contained in the regulations contained in TD 6918 published on 5/1/1967.

Comment

Well

Originally posted by New York Enrolled Agent View Post
      Actually, I really don't believe so. The original Reg §1.162-5 was written in 1958 and was amended in 1967. No change since that time.

The Courts (ex Sandt CA3) agreed with the IRS on the "primary purpose" of education in the 1958 regulations. The 1967 amendment sought to offer more objective criteria, removed that concept of subjective intent and also stated "all teaching and related duties shall be considered to involve the same general type of work". Those are the words contained in the regulations contained in TD 6918 published on 5/1/1967.
      that shoots down that theory.

Thanks NYEA

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
        How about someone starting a new career into insurance. Is the cost of the course, testing fee and application fee deductible on his or her new Sch C as a Insurance Agent?
        What about the same Ins Agent that already has a Life insurance license and wants to add a health inurance? Seems to me to be very similar to the Dentist wanting to expand in into Ortho.
        1. The cost of the course, testing fee and app fee to qualify or license a new ins agent is not deductible.
        2. The addl fee to sell health insurance for an already-licensed agent would be.

Comment

Working...
        X