SSN's on Tax Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSN's on Tax Returns

Just read an item which said IRS was going to require the manual input of SSN's from W-2's on next year's tax returns. And just what is this supposed to accomplish? I am assuming this will not affect rollover of tax data in our software? So we will have to input those on the W-2 worksheet? And I thought issuers were going to truncate the SSN anyway next year. How will that affect non-working dependents?

I know last year they required software companies require manual entry of SSN on W-2's when the taxpayer had an ITIN. Apparently noone was bothering to put the SSN from the W-2 in the software and sending out returns with ITINs on the W-2's. I haven't heard of anything about this requirement applying to a non-ITIN return yet. I agree, I don't see the purpose for taxpayers with SSN. It's common with taxpayers that have ITIN, but most with SSN are going to use the SSN they have, why wouldn't they?

Comment

SSNs or just ITINs ?

I received some information via ~spam email which showed a reference to disallowing software autopopulate for ITINs....no mention of same for SSNs.

The article ( http://www.accountingtoday.com/news/...s-59435-1.html ) is nearly a year old.

If you have a newer article, especially as related to a similar restriction for entering SSNs, please provide it to us!

FE

Comment

That's it. I missed the distinction completely because they did not use the acronym ITIN.

Comment

Working...
        X