Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Canceled Debts

Hello,

Client couple received 3 Forms 1099-C. One for wife and 2 for husband. I had them fill out 3 Insolvency Worksheets for each date immediately before
    each canceled debt date.

Please, how do I report 3 1099-Cs on their MFJ tax return. Do I need to use three different Forms 982 for each 1099-C or only one Form 982?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Only one 982

However, you may want to itemize the 1099-C's on the detail to line 21 (if you have room) and back them out with a negative entry referencing the 982.

Originally posted by taxjungle View Post
    Hello,

Client couple received 3 Forms 1099-C. One for wife and 2 for husband. I had them fill out 3 Insolvency Worksheets for each date immediately before
    each canceled debt date.

Please, how do I report 3 1099-Cs on their MFJ tax return. Do I need to use three different Forms 982 for each 1099-C or only one Form 982?

Last edited by appelman; 07-29-2012, 11:39 PM. Reason: Correction
    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

IRS auditing Insolvency Worksheet?

Originally posted by taxjungle View Post
      Hello,
      each canceled debt date. Please, how do I report 3 1099-Cs on their MFJ tax return. Do I need to use three different Forms 982 for each 1099-C or only one Form 982?
      I did quite a few of these over the years and so far no audits. Has anyone had their clients worksheet audited by the IRS?

Comment

Audit of Form 982

I'm actually working an audit on a 982 right now. Unfortunately the client did their own original and are just now getting to me. The problem I ran into and the reason for the audit is that they claimed one figure on the 982 as insolvent and the IRS only had a 1099C for a much smaller amount. They are still insolvent either way but the discrepancy generated an AUR because the 982 did not match the 1099C. A relatively simple fix if the client had not waited until the Notice of difiency was issued to see me.

Comment

Working...
        X