Excuses Excuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excuses Excuses

Back in 2009 a guy found me on the internet and hired me to straighten out his mess. He paid promptly and I solved his problem which was that because he had not filed tax returns for at least eight years the IRS and NC were seizing his bank accounts. The one thing he had done right was pay in his quarterly estimates and when his returns were filed he would have been due a refund each year had he filed timely. The government agencies let me treat the aged out refunds by crediting them to the following year which I don't believe they had to do. The upshot was that he got back all of his banked funds and the sum of the refunds he could have had by filing timely but he had to pay me a hefty fee. He was pleased with what he got and he wrote me a testimonial that I still use in my advertising.

Now it seems he never got around to filing another tax return and the IRS is threatening to levy his bank accounts over 09. He wants the same deal he got before and he can't be bothered to get me what I need to file his taxes for an indeterminate period because his wife is terminally ill and he is taking care of her at home with some help from Hospice. He anticipates that she will be gone soon and he thinks he can have everything I need by mid September.

There are two reasons why I might take the case. He pays very well and I want the work and he is a hero working to defeat our enemies in the war on terror. I cannot provide details of course. There is also one reason why I might tell him to go elsewhere. I understand why he is in a bind right now but until recently he was just a long term procrastinator. Thank you for letting me vent and any comments would be appreciated.

old habits die hard...
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
      old habits die hard...
      Yes both his and mine......

Comment

You really lucked in.

I've never heard of an agency applying refunds from closed years to subsequent years. I would have thought it was illegal!
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

You should take him on again unless you suspect his payment to you would be less likely than in the past. After all, you know his prior returns' history now. Go for it.

Comment

There is something in the code that speaks to reasons for return not being timely filed. Medical is one of them but it may not apply to him...because he is not the one that is sick. I would tell him that the IRS may not be as cooperative or understanding this time and "same deal" is doubtful as they will take the position that he should have learned his lesson in 2009
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Sick

First of all ty to all who responded. Yes I am going to take him on and yes I am going to let him know early on that last time they were very lenient with him and this time his 09 refund is probably lost. He's a great guy who is too cavalier about his filing responsibilities.

Taxea I realize that he is the one I call my client as they decided long before I came on the scene that he would take care of their taxes. However, he has always filed jointly with his wife who has no income of her own. Also she didn't get her terminal diagnosis or show much in the way of symptoms until "after the holidays" which I need to get him to define but surely means after Christmas and may mean after New Year's Day. Do I have a chance to turn that into forbearance on seizing assets until she passes and he has time to deal with the initial grief? Note that she was as healthy as a horse throughout the time he should have been getting 09 and 10 done and her condition only impacted his ability to timely file 11 which he says was extended and that he thinks he can get the stuff ready for me by three weeks before the deadline. That would be more than sufficient for me to do it timely.

Comment

Why lose 2009 refund?

You have until next April!
                Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

L O L Nice catch

Good Point Appleman

Comment

Working...
                  X