Charitable Contrib Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charitable Contrib Documentation

An organization my Dad supports has notified him that going forward they will provide receipts only for individual contributions over $250 and will expect you to make do with your cancelled check or credit card statement for smaller contributions.

Is the organization risking trouble from the IRS for this?

Am I right that you need a receipt for all contributions you want to deduct?

Originally posted by erchess View Post
    An organization my Dad supports has notified him that going forward they will provide receipts only for individual contributions over $250 and will expect you to make do with your cancelled check or credit card statement for smaller contributions.

Assuming they really mean $250 and above, they're going by the letter of the law. Receipts from the organization aren't required for individual cash contributions of $249.99 and less, so long as there is a satisfactory bank or payroll record.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post

The organization is fine with what they are doing.

Actually, IRS Pub 1771 says that an organization that does not acknowledge a contribution does not incur a penalty.

But without the acknowledgement, for amounts of $250 or more, the taxpayer gets no deduction without the acknowledgement

You don't need an acknowledgement from the organization for any single contribution of less than $250 to be able to claim the deduction. But you must have substantiation, such as a cancelled check.
      Last edited by Jiggers; 07-22-2012, 05:47 PM.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Clarification request

By the letter of the law, the organization IS within the law although their attitude might bother me a bit were I to be donating to them.

In any case: Are they saying they will not provide an individual (stand-alone) receipt for, let's say, a $100 donation but they might otherwise include that donation on an annual summary or similar?

FE

Comment

Working...
        X