ITIN for foreign spouse in oversea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITIN for foreign spouse in oversea

Does anyone have experience with clients applying for an ITIN for an foreign national spouse in oversea? I am talking about the Form W-7 here.

I have this client who has been trying to apply for an ITIN for his wife since last year. He has tried to send them almost everything...her picture ID, birth certificate, marriage certificate and even photos that were taken together with their children. But, for unknown reason, the case has been repeatedly rejected and no specific reason has been given. They only said the client did not provide all the required information even though he has sent in what they want based on the Form W-7 instruction. And I hear they are also changing the rule now and make the process even more difficult. What would you suggest your client to do under the situation?

Acceptance Agent

Have you tried working with an IRS ITIN Acceptance Agent?

Comment

Have you reviewed the W-7 and documentation?

I'm a certifying acceptance agent, and mine have all gone through like clockwork. People who send in their own usually miss something. Unless you send a passport, you must send in 2 documents from the list -- one establishing identity and the other establishing foreign nationality. And at least for the rest of this year, only original documents, or copies certified by the issuing authority, will be accepted. And, of course, unless an exception applies, a completed tax return must accompany the application to establish that there is a legitimate tax purpose for seeking an ITIN.
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
      X