Truck Driver Correspondance audit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck Driver Correspondance audit

Client is over the road trucker. Does not own truck and is paid by W-2. Was on the road 310 days. Auditor is looking at the Schedule A Misc 2% deduction. Most of the deduction is the meal per diem (59.00x 310 days). This is a 2010 return.

The IRS wants to know where the assignments were, company reimbursement policy (none),
    and a record of the business destination and purpose. That would be the logbook.

Question is should I call the auditor first just to clarify what he needs or just complete the checklist and send in the documents, including a copy of the logbook. Be interested to know how others may have handled these situations.

I'd send the auditor what they requested and wait for the reply. If it's a "no change", you're done. If they want more info, they know how to ask for it. I don't know of anything you gain by contacting the auditor unless you just want to make a new friend.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by astroantics View Post
      Client is over the road trucker. Does not own truck and is paid by W-2. Was on the road 310 days. Auditor is looking at the Schedule A Misc 2% deduction. Most of the deduction is the meal per diem (59.00x 310 days). This is a 2010 return.

The IRS wants to know where the assignments were, company reimbursement policy (none),
      and a record of the business destination and purpose. That would be the logbook.

Question is should I call the auditor first just to clarify what he needs or just complete the checklist and send in the documents, including a copy of the logbook. Be interested to know how others may have handled these situations.
      Last fall I had a correspondence audit from the IRS campus in Memphis, TN. Attempted calls to their phone and fax number made it clear that they do not encourage telecommunications. I agree with the earlier poster John H. that you'd be wise to just send (by mail) exactly the written material they asked you for. By the way, my client got back a "no change" letter in response to his audit.

ea in California
      Last edited by OtisMozzetti; 07-14-2012, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X