hiring help for tax season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hiring help for tax season

I am thinking about hiring some people to actually do returns in my office. I have always done the return myself so far. I would really appreciate any suggestion and info in this matter such as:
    contract between the two as far as non-compete and terms
    should they get their own ptin or can they do return under mine if i sign the return
    if they would be on commission do i need workman's comp?
    any advise would be appreciated.

Originally posted by ardi600 View Post
    I am thinking about hiring some people to actually do returns in my office. I have always done the return myself so far. I would really appreciate any suggestion and info in this matter such as:
    contract between the two as far as non-compete and terms
    should they get their own ptin or can they do return under mine if i sign the return
    if they would be on commission do i need workman's comp?
    any advise would be appreciated.
    Have you read the registration rules for preparers and the employee vs. independent contractor rules? You should probably research whatever law applies to providing workman's comp.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Help

I have 12 preparers they each have their own PTIN .I am paying for their 15hrs CPE and also for them to take the test.They all sign non compete letters.I have found that enforcement of them is very expensive but they work with most people.If you are a CPA or EA they do not need their own PTIN's if not they do.

Comment

Whether they're required to have their own PTIN, and whether it's a good idea for them to have their own PTIN are two separate questions, even ignoring the RTRP testing requirement in the future.

Check with your E&O insurance company to see what they say.

Comment

My hiring plan

While studying for the EA, I had some doubts of why I didn’t go for the lesser cost and less time RTRP exam but then I read that an EA can supervise non registered preparers unlike an RTRP. Next door to my community is a retirement community (age 50+) and many of them bank at the local bank where a client and friend of mine work’s. I plan to have her tell her senior clients that I am looking for a couple of part time tax preparer’s I will load my tax software on their PC and they will need to practice entering data this summer. They will be paid a salary especially since I am involved in payroll.

If not required, I am going to stay clear of the expenses of RTRP courses, RTRP exams and CPE’s etc and I am not a believer in a non-complete clause for the taxpayer has the final say who they want for their tax preparer. In this very competitive business, I am not about to give my potential competitors a head start on my dollar. Luckily for me the lady that was helping me this last tax season obtained a job outside of the tax prep business.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
            Whether they're required to have their own PTIN, and whether it's a good idea for them to have their own PTIN are two separate questions, even ignoring the RTRP testing requirement in the future.

Check with your E&O insurance company to see what they say.
            I thought they needed a PTIN if they prepare returns. Where does it say they don't if they work for CPA or EA? I must have missed something. As an EA I wouldn't hire anyone who didn't have a RTRP.

Comment

PTINs for "supervised preparers"

Maybe some people should re-read this.

Comment

thanks Okie

Comment

Working...
                X