FICA/Med Tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FICA/Med Tables

I've got a client writing his own payroll checks. I gave him fed & state charts and he is capable of looking up the income taxes, but multiplying out the FICA & Medicare is over his head. Anybody happen to have an online link to combined FICA/Med tables so he can also look those up also?

Years ago, IRS had such tables included in Pub. 15, but now nothing except the .0565% rate (guess they figured everybody graduated). Anyway, I can't find such tables (assuming a freebie chart still exists). Thanx.

He can't use a calculator?
    Jiggers, EA

Comment

Correcto.

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
      Right you are.

Comment

I don't suppose that if your client can not use a Calculator for the FICA/Mcare percentages, he/she would not be able to use an "Excel" Template either (with automatic formulas added)

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
          I've got a client writing his own payroll checks. I gave him fed & state charts and he is capable of looking up the income taxes, but multiplying out the FICA & Medicare is over his head. Anybody happen to have an online link to combined FICA/Med tables so he can also look those up also?

Years ago, IRS had such tables included in Pub. 15, but now nothing except the .0565% rate (guess they figured everybody graduated). Anyway, I can't find such tables (assuming a freebie chart still exists). Thanx.
          Are you thinking of Pub. 15-A (Supplement)? It's still around, see page 47 and following.

Comment

Originally posted by S T

I don't suppose that if your client can not use a Calculator for the FICA/Mcare percentages, he/she would not be able to use an "Excel" Template either (with automatic formulas added)

Sandy
            Thanks Sandy, but he's uncomputered. If I mentioned "Excel" he'd probably say "Well, my P. E. teacher once said I was real good."

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            Are you thinking of Pub. 15-A (Supplement)? It's still around, see page 47 and following.
            Much obliged, Burke. Hate to admit it but I didn't know a Pub. 15-A existed. Dang it, that's the 2nd time lately that a blank spot in my basic tax background has been outed (hope LA-EA doesn't chastize...me...again).

Problem is, that 15-A table combines FICA/Med with Fed. Withholding and, see, I've already got his head wrapped around the regular Pub. 15 Fed. Withholding chart by itself. If I throw a revised table at him now, he's liable to blow a gray fuse. But it's okay for now because he brought in a hand calculator last Friday and showed me he could punch in an "X" and "=" but said those "Dewey decimals" were what was discombobulatin' him. We ran through .0565 and he caught on after a while (mental giants are not so rare as I had thought), so we're out of the woods (even if not settin' 'em on fire). Thanks for the P-15A update anyway.

Originally posted by Jiggers
            He's kinda like a change-makin' cashier my friend once gave a five, a nickel, and two pennies for a $1.07 bill -- she handed the coins back and said "Don't mess with my head!"
            Last edited by Black Bart; 07-17-2012, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Additional exercise

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
              He's kinda like a change-makin' cashier my friend once gave a five, a nickel, and two pennies for a $1.07 bill -- she handed the coins back and said "Don't mess with my head!"
              The real challenge is to have a bill something like $4.62 and give the cashier a $5 bill, two nickels, and two pennies.

Stand your ground if they try to return the change, let them punch the numbers into the register, and then come up with "HOW did you do that????" [Aside: It worked a lot better when 50ยข coins were in general circulation.]

Good luck with the payroll. He could always pursue log tables or maybe even use a slide rule.

FE

Comment

sounds like you need to do his payroll for him.. cant use a calc? WoW, just WoW

Chris

Comment

That would be too easy

Originally posted by spanel View Post
                  sounds like you need to do his payroll for him.. cant use a calc? WoW, just WoW

Chris
                  The client is too dumb for that.
                  If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

There are

Originally posted by spanel View Post
                    ...cant use a calc? WoW, just WoW

Chris
                    worse things , my young friend -- I operated one of these* for a few weeks back in the Jurassic Era just before a mechanical Olivetti calculator arrived and saved my life.

* http://www.vintagecalculators.com/ht...mptometer.html

Comment

Working...
                    X