Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS the "New Gestapo"

Maine Governor blasts IRS

Obviously Godwin's Law isn't limited to the Internet.

Comment

Haha....that's my neck of the woods. Our Governor lacks politician-like speaking skills, but that's not always a bad thing. Can hardly believe what a politician is saying these days.

But, I don't think it's too strong of a word; gustapo. The IRS does a good job of enforcement and compliance and has a lot of power....it's just an expression of his frustration of the system which is widely criticized by most of Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by kpangelinan View Post
        Haha....that's my neck of the woods. Our Governor lacks politician-like speaking skills, but that's not always a bad thing. Can hardly believe what a politician is saying these days.

But, I don't think it's too strong of a word; gustapo[sic]. The IRS does a good job of enforcement and compliance and has a lot of power....it's just an expression of his frustration of the system which is widely criticized by most of Americans.
        I'm sorry, but if you think it's not too strong of a word, then either you haven't thought about it very much or you don't know what the word Gestapo (the correct spelling) means. And that's the reason there's such outrage at the remark - because too many people trivialize its meaning.

Consider a huge difference, touched by your statement. There was no wide criticism of the Gestapo in Germany, for the simple reason that the Gestapo would make sure that critics disappeared.
        Last edited by Gary2; 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
          I'm sorry, but if you think it's not too strong of a word, then either you haven't thought about it very much or you don't know what the word Gestapo (the correct spelling) means. And that's the reason there's such outrage at the remark - because too many people trivialize its meaning.

Consider a huge difference, touched by your statement. There was no wide criticism of the Gestapo in Germany, for the simple reason that the Gestapo would make sure that critics disappeared.
          I still think it's just an expression of one's feelings. I highly doubt a governor of a state literally believes that the IRS runs like "THE OFFICIAL SECRET POLICE OF NAZI GERMANY". That is just way too hard to believe and outright ridiculousness.

I've told the joke:
          What's the difference between a Revenue Officer and a mugger?
          Answer: Revenue Officers wear suits.

That doesn't mean I believe Revenue Officers use their badges and authority to literally assault someone with a club/knife/gun/etc. It just means that some people feel like they've been mugged after an audit, while still having the ultimate respect, not for them maybe, but for their authority and professionalism.

Comment

Also, to clarify.....I do understand that many could and do get offended by certain words and for that, an apology may be called for. But I'll stand by the governor and believe that although his choice of words wasn't the best, his intentions wasn't to indicate it's his belief the IRS is similar in nature to what the Gestapo did and stands for.

Comment

Originally posted by kpangelinan View Post
              Also, to clarify.....I do understand that many could and do get offended by certain words and for that, an apology may be called for. But I'll stand by the governor and believe that although his choice of words wasn't the best, his intentions wasn't to indicate it's his belief the IRS is similar in nature to what the Gestapo did and stands for.
              So you're saying the IRS barges into homes in the middle of the night, and ships people off to concentration camps, if they didn't torture them to death first? Or did the Gestapo have Concentration Camp Due Process hearings and a Political Prisoner Advocacy Service?

I guess I still fail to see the slightest similarity.

Comment

So you're saying the IRS barges into homes in the middle of the night, and ships people off to concentration camps, if they didn't torture them to death first? Or did the Gestapo have Concentration Camp Due Process hearings and a Political Prisoner Advocacy Service?
                Not yet, it didn't start that way in Germany either.

Comment

Maybe the guv'nor (and a host of other politician and public figures in this country), should heed the warnings of master wordsmith CS lewis in this regard:

--> Don't use words too big for the subject.
                  Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very";
                  otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. <---
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Words have meaning and politicians engage in hyperbole and overstate the obvious seeking to score points with the less erudite of their constituents. Just as any political scandal invariable ends up with “gate” appended to it and every president or unpopular foreign dictator is ultimately compared to Hitler these words lose their meaning.

People are right to be afraid of the IRS. A protracted audit can be the ruin of a business and everyone involved in one certainly feels as if they have been singled out for “special treatment”. We all know that while the power of the IRS is considerable it does terminate somewhat before the ability to drag us out of our homes and shoot us in the street. Still I have to chuckle when some politician lets his mouth override his brain and blurts out such a comment.
                    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
                    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Trash talk.....

Basically that is all it boils down to. A famous college coach once said "we do our talking on the field". DaveO you know who that coarch is (still living). When I hear trash talk like this Maine Gov not to mention my own AZ Gov, I think of the scene in that one Clint Eastwood movie where Clint says "nag nag nag". Maine Gov, come up with a CBO scored alternative to the IRS with similiar revenues. If cost cutting is the answer, start by cutting your own salary Gov, paying more of your health ins premiums, I believe you reside in a public paid house, go pay for your own housing like the middle class do etc.
                      Last edited by AZ-Tax; 07-10-2012, 08:11 PM. Reason: changed

Comment

I guess I still fail to see the slightest similarity.
                        I don't know what other people saw, but what I saw was the governor was saying the Gustapo had abusive power and the IRS has abusive power. Nothing more, nothing less. I certainly don't believe he was comparing them as you have above. I didn't see it that way when I first heard about it.

And to further clarify my own thought process and to guess what the Maine Governor was thinking when he said it, I agree with and quote DaveO's eloquent statement above: "Words have meaning and politicians engage in hyperbole and overstate the obvious seeking to score points with the less erudite of their constituents. Just as any political scandal invariable ends up with “gate” appended to it and every president or unpopular foreign dictator is ultimately compared to Hitler these words lose their meaning."

Comment

Observation

Generally speaking, in any "discussion" once any comparison to Hitler (or in this case the Gestapo) is made, it's a good time to exit the entire conversation and move on to more productive pursuits.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                            Generally speaking, in any "discussion" once any comparison to Hitler (or in this case the Gestapo) is made, it's a good time to exit the entire conversation and move on to more productive pursuits.

FE
                            I might be inclined to agree with this, however, we do have "freedom of speech" and if this was the case, the thread would have had "zero' replies as the title begins with the word, "Gustapo" in it. A good observation and a great point though.

"IRS the "New Gestapo"

Comment

Here Here......I 2nd.

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                              Generally speaking, in any "discussion" once any comparison to Hitler (or in this case the Gestapo) is made, it's a good time to exit the entire conversation and move on to more productive pursuits.FE
                              Here Here......I 2nd.

Comment

Working...
                              X