minister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

minister

New client is a minister. I have never done return for minister.

I belive thay have special allowances. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pub 517

The two most common special situations for clergy are housing allowance and calculation of SE tax. Both are covered in Pub 517. You can't assume that the minister is exempt from Social Security taxes, or that an exemption applies to everything he earns from any job. You also can't assume that the all of the designated housing allowance is exempt from taxation or exempt from SE tax.

Comment

Originally posted by jainen
      The two most common special situations for clergy are housing allowance and calculation of SE tax. Both are covered in Pub 517. You can't assume that the minister is exempt from Social Security taxes, or that an exemption applies to everything he earns from any job. You also can't assume that the all of the designated housing allowance is exempt from taxation or exempt from SE tax.
      In my research, I found that hosusing allowance is fica taxable but exepmt from Fed tax to the extenet of actaul expenses.

Comment

If you are using Lacerte, I think they have finally figured out the main nuances for a minister.

Comment

Working...
        X