For Certifying Acceptance Agents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Certifying Acceptance Agents

I got bored today and decided to investigate becoming a CAA so that I will be able to fill out forms W-7 (Application for ITIN) for clients and send in certification that I have seen their proof or proofs of eligibility instead of sending in those documents. (For those who don't know, the documents have to be original or certified copies and would have to be sent in unless a CAA is completing and signing the form. Some don't want to mail in things like their passports or driver's licenses and suitable certified copies may be hard to get.) I have several questions.

Even if a CAA is involved, documents (if any) to establish why the applicant is not required to attach a tax return have to be included with the W-7. Furthermore these documents need attestation by a US or foreign notary if they are copies and there's an additional hoop to jump through if the notary is foreign. What I want to know is can the notary for this purpose be a member of the CAA's staff or as would be the case if something involved in a representation case had to be notarized, must I use a notary without connection to my business? (This isn't trivial because a CAA must keep for three years notarized copies of all documents used whether or not sent in.)

How long does it take you to prepare Form W-7 on average once your client gives you the necessary information?

Whether your stated fee is hourly or per form, you must know what you generally charge per hour. Do you build a PIA Increase or Client Attraction Discount into that fee? What do you typically charge for a W-7?

If a client who turns out to be eligible for a Social Security Card wants help filling out the form, can we afford to offer that service or are there reasons (eg the law or our E & O insurer wouldn't like it) why we can't or why you don't?
    Last edited by erchess; 07-03-2012, 06:34 PM.

Interesting you brought this up

I was just watching a five part series on fradulent ITINs in a report by a by an Indianna TV station. A tax preparer brought the fraud to the attention of a news reporter. The amount per year has reached 4.2 billion dollars a year.

Comment

Auditing the IRS

More on ITIN issues

Last edited by veritas; 07-07-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Don't forget that at least for the rest of 2012...

Original documents or copies certified by the originating agency must be sent in even by a CAA.
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

TY Both

Veritas that is why the IRS is taking another look at the whole program and for the nonce making everyone send in original documents or certified copies. Appleman you raise a good point. This may not be a can of worms I want to open at this time.

Comment

I understood that.

Originally posted by erchess View Post
            Veritas that is why the IRS is taking another look at the whole program and for the nonce making everyone send in original documents or certified copies. Appleman you raise a good point. This may not be a can of worms I want to open at this time.
            That just leaves the 10 of thousands of PTINS already issued. 4.2 billion a year of our money going to those that do not qualify.

I think the whole idea of ITINs stinks and should be eliminated.
            Last edited by veritas; 07-07-2012, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I think you mean ITINs, not PTINs.
              Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                I think you mean ITINs, not PTINs.
                you are correct.

Comment

Anyhow...

No new CAA applications are being accepted, at least until the beginning of next year.
                  Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Further thoughts.

Looking at the links posted by Veritas, it appears that the loophole for fraud lies not so much in the documentation, which could even be genuine, but in establishing that the dependents actually live with the taxpayer. If Austin isn't able to police this, and it would probably overwhelm them if they tried, they really need to depend on the services of reliable CAA's. I very much doubt that much fraud, if any, comes through the CAA's.
                    Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Fraud

I fail to see how the CAA program will cut down on fraud. If I were one of these people, I would ask all the questions I was supposed to and document the answers but I would not meet all the dependents or do a home visit which to my mind would be the minimum necessary to avoid large amounts of fraud.

Comment

I don't think any self-respecting CAA...

Would go anywhere near some of the situations described in those articles. At least, I know that I wouldn't.
                        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
                        X