No announcement yet.

Obamacare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the ACA doesn't go far enough to fix the healthcare problems in this country either. At least it wipes out the Medicare Advantage plans (free-market insurance) that have cost Medicare a bundle over the traditional plans since it was passed by those insisting that private, for profit insurance companies could provide cheaper insurance than traditional Medicare.

But just remember, this was the watered-down version originally proposed by the elephants to counter Hillary-care back in the 90's.

Since I've never seen any of the older folks on this board (or any others) complain about Medicare, how about Medicare for all?

Comment

A couple of big reasons

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
      I think the ACA doesn't go far enough to fix the healthcare problems in this country either. At least it wipes out the Medicare Advantage plans (free-market insurance) that have cost Medicare a bundle over the traditional plans since it was passed by those insisting that private, for profit insurance companies could provide cheaper insurance than traditional Medicare.

But just remember, this was the watered-down version originally proposed by the elephants to counter Hillary-care back in the 90's.

Since I've never seen any of the older folks on this board (or any others) complain about Medicare, how about Medicare for all?
      One- Doctors are either not taking any more medicare patients or withdrawing from the program all together because the reimbursements are insufficient.

Two- Medicare is going broke by 2019 according to MSNBC.

Comment

Does the Healthcare act have

refundable credits in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
          One- Doctors are either not taking any more medicare patients or withdrawing from the program all together because the reimbursements are insufficient.

Two- Medicare is going broke by 2019 according to MSNBC.
          But wait! Didn't Obama promise that we could keep our same doctor?
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Well yeah, but he didn't promise our same doctor would want to keep us...
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

he he

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
              Well yeah, but he didn't promise our same doctor would want to keep us...
              That's a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by dyne View Post
                Roberts said in his post that we preparers will possibly only have to check a box
                during our interview with clients to indicate that they have health insurance. I hope
                that is correct. However I am concerned that IRS may require us to PROVE that
                each taxpayer has health insurance possibly by requiring us to photocopy their
                health insurance card, etc. This would be a pain!
                And we will never know until one gets audited. Due diligence and all that........

Comment

Thinking out loud, I wonder if insurance companies will have to provide a certificate showing insurance coverage? Actually they do provide ID cards as I have one in my wallet.

Here in Texas, one insurance company issues a one-month insurance coverage for a vehicle. Pricey, but not as much as a 12-month or 6-month policy.

The vehicle owner takes the one-month certificate and gets the vehicle inspected and the annual license sticker.

He is free to drive the vehicle until he gets caught or in an accident!

Will this work with the health care mandate? Taxpayer comes in with a one-month health certificate, you do your due dilligence and mark the box or whatever with "Yes" for coverage and you, and the taxpayer, is free and clear.
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Jiggers View Post
                    Will this work with the health care mandate? Taxpayer comes in with a one-month health certificate, you do your due dilligence and mark the box or whatever with "Yes" for coverage and you, and the taxpayer, is free and clear.
                    No, because the Code refers to each month:

ยง 5000A(a) Requirement to maintain minimum essential coverage
                    An applicable individual shall for each month beginning after 2013 ensure that the individual, and any dependent of the individual who is an applicable individual, is covered under minimum essential coverage for such month.
                    So whatever checkbox we have, it will be similar to HSA eligibility, where you have to check each month that the qualifications are met.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                      No, because the Code refers to each month:

So whatever checkbox we have, it will be similar to HSA eligibility, where you have to check each month that the qualifications are met.

So that $95 for 2014 maybe will be prorated. There will be a form for that for sure.
                      ChEAr$,
                      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Well,

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                        ...the Code refers to each month:

if there isn't a 1099 issued, then it's going to be one whole heck of a lot of fun trying to find out from some employees (or extracting the info from employers' frequently unknowing/uncaring clerks) whether or not they (and or wife/kids) were covered in what months -- especially if they changed jobs a few times. Many just sign up for whatever the employer offers without even knowing details. Sometimes they're not even sure which year they signed on.
                        Last edited by Black Bart; 07-02-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X