Publication 17 - Moving Expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Publication 17 - Moving Expense

I needed the information about moving expense and can't seem to find it in Pub 17. Nothing in the index under "moving expense." Is it somewhere else?

TTB 3-5. Instructions for Form 3903. IRS Pub 521.

Comment

Thanks Lion-But info should be in Pub 17?

Originally posted by Lion View Post
      TTB 3-5. Instructions for Form 3903. IRS Pub 521.
      You would think that publication 17 would mention moving expense somewhere.

Comment

I agree the info should be in Pub 17. But it's interesting to see the amount of info included in the instructions attached to some forms. I think the 3903 is one of those.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
          You would think that publication 17 would mention moving expense somewhere.
          This is one reason I prefer the PDF versions of these pubs, since I can easily do a search. In this case, there are several mentions of moving expenses in Pub. 17 - every one of which says to see Pub. 521.

As long as they produce print versions of Pub. 17, they'll need to manage the size of the document to keep printing costs down. My guess is that someone looked at the percentage of returns that include a 3903 and decided that it was too small to justify putting information directly into Pub. 17.

Comment

Pub. 17

looks like 2004 was the last year Pub. 17 had information on moving expense (5 pages)

Comment

I don't know as a fact whether there are currently any details about it in Publication 17, but moving expenses fall under "adjustments to income". If it is not in the Publ. 17, I would speculate that there might be a reference to "see the form and instructions".

Comment

I find myself using pub. 17 less and less.

It has been a long time since it was the one-stop reference for people doing their own returns. In a situation like this, I start with the expanded 1040 instructions.
                Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
                X