All the Screwballs seem to come in late

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the Screwballs seem to come in late

Why does it seem that all goofyest returns come in late in the season, MFS and people expect us as tax preparers to be their sledge hammer, judge and equalizer. I had one in last night and some of the requests are beyond me.

I remember one year, this little guy came in around 2 pm on 4/15. Had a pretty simple return with one stock sale, no problem.

I did the return, rushed it to the back to be doublechecked. The girl said, did you look on the back of this form? No, why?

There were 30 stock transactions on the back.

I could have strangelled him.

Comment

Glad to hear someone else uses a 2nd set of eyes

I the crunch it can be very easy to overlook little things like that.

Comment

Yes, every return was double checked and new ones were checked twice.

I do miss that in my own practice, I doublecheck them myself, but that is no where near like having a completely different set of eyes on it.

I usually try to do something else in between doing a return and checking it, sometime let it set until the next day. That helps a little.

Comment

Client Information

Some brokerage statements have started printing on the back of the pages to save money. This causes me to have to double check all documents brought in. The problem increases when the brokerage statement is many pages long because they show the detail that goes on the actual 1099 that is on page 1. Sometimes there are detailed items that are needed on those pages such as on page 5 or 7 or 9 out of 12 pages and the client only brings in those that he "thinks" you need. Lots of time they have the cost basis for the stocks and funds sold. "I thought you had that in the computer". I even had one that didn't give me his ES payments. When I questioned him on that, he said he "...thought you got that from the IRS". Whatever.
          Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
          X