Tax Return Signature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Return Signature

I want to email a tax return to a client in a foreign country. My main problem is how to sign the PDF file. I found out Acrobat can put a signature on the PDF file. But the way it is done is that the program first asks for my name. And that it just make out my name in an italic format that looks like it is in handwriting. But it is nowhere close to the way I usually sign the tax return by hand.

So my question: Is the Acrobat program generated signature (which let me emphasize again does not look like my hand written signature at all) considered acceptable signature for a tax return?

Your signature can be electronic on original and amended returns: Notice 2004-54
    Michael

Comment

Originally posted by MilTaxEA View Post
      Your signature can be electronic on original and amended returns: Notice 2004-54
      Thank you. It makes the process much easier.

But since it is so easy, anyone can use Acrobat to create the same signature and put it on a tax return. Is it a legitimate concern?

Comment

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
        Thank you. It makes the process much easier.

But since it is so easy, anyone can use Acrobat to create the same signature and put it on a tax return. Is it a legitimate concern?
        My client in Iraq tried that and it didn't work. IRS balked at the electronic signature. Upshot was the return properly signed was three months late with attendant penalties which I had to take time to get abated.

use the good old USPS.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

The preparer can sign electronically. (I have my tax software print my name in case I miss signing something.) The taxpayer must hand sign.

So, you can electronically send a return that has your "signature" printed on it to your client to sign his/their signature(s) and mail. You can also sign the return or signature page to scan and then email to your client.

Or, email him Form 8879 to sign and scan/email or fax or mail back to you so you can then sign that form and e-file his returns. More than one way to skin a cat.
          Last edited by Lion; 06-05-2012, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I just print mine on as said above, but if you want to put a signature on a pdf I strongly recommend using nitropdf.: http://www.nitropdf.com/
            They are free and have more features than Adobe. you can scan in your signature and turn it into a stamp you can just stamp anywhere on any pdf. Also it is much easier to rotate pdf with their program, as you know clients always fax things in upside-down. Also it lets you print to pdfs nice and easy, I really prefer them to adobe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bay ArEA View Post
              I just print mine on as said above, but if you want to put a signature on a pdf I strongly recommend using nitropdf.: http://www.nitropdf.com/
              They are free and have more features than Adobe. you can scan in your signature and turn it into a stamp you can just stamp anywhere on any pdf. Also it is much easier to rotate pdf with their program, as you know clients always fax things in upside-down. Also it lets you print to pdfs nice and easy, I really prefer them to adobe.
              That's exactly what I was talking about above, my client in Iraq tried to do that.
              IRS didn't look kindly on that.
              please re read my post.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                That's exactly what I was talking about above, my client in Iraq tried to do that.
                IRS didn't look kindly on that.
                please re read my post.
                The rules for the paid preparer and the rules for the taxpayer (and spouse on a joint return) are different. Paid preparers are allowed to use electronic signatures, rubber stamps, etc. but the taxpayer isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                  The rules for the paid preparer and the rules for the taxpayer (and spouse on a joint return) are different. Paid preparers are allowed to use electronic signatures, rubber stamps, etc. but the taxpayer isn't.
                  Yeah the OP was asking about their own signature, and that works for the preparer. For clients I e-mail them, have them print and sign the form, then depending on the form mail it or fax it from there.

Comment

Working...
                  X