Paper file - include 1099-R original ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper file - include 1099-R original ?

Looks like all the client gave me was "Copy C For Recipients records This info furnished to the IRS " and "Copy 2 to be filed with state, city, or local income tax retun". I have not done a paper filed return for quite some time that had a 1099-R involved. Do I need to make a copy of Copy 2 and include with paper return?

Paper File 1099-R

Is it that difficult for you to copy a form and attach it to a paper return?

If it has withholding tax - I definitely would.

If it doesn't then I don't see the need.

The only reason for attaching forms to returns is to claim withheld taxes.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

We have become so use to electronic file and not attaching documentation such as W-2 forms and 1099R forms, that when we do have to file a paper return, the question arises, what do we attach.

I have had about 2 returns this year that had to be paper filed, and really had to re-engage my "brain" to determine the actual "paper file and associated documentation"

Federal return would be one issue and then "state" specific.

Basic question, I attach any income documents such s W-2 forms and 1099R forms, on paper file,

Uncle Sam is correct in that a 1099R form is not required if there is NO withholding, I continue on paper file to attach regardless. That is just me!

If you do not have the actual "stated copy" of Federal or State copy , I have never had an issue, if I attached a copy of the "Recepient's Copy"

Sandy

Comment

Uncle Sam is correct. Only 1099's with withholding need to be attachec
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Attaching 1099Rs

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
          Looks like all the client gave me was "Copy C For Recipients records This info furnished to the IRS " and "Copy 2 to be filed with state, city, or local income tax retun". I have not done a paper filed return for quite some time that had a 1099-R involved. Do I need to make a copy of Copy 2 and include with paper return?
          I agree with everybody else (attach if anything withheld, otherwise not required), but...I know of one exception -- Arkansas wants all copies of 1099Rs regardless if anything's withheld or not. Don't send it and your client gets a state "CP2000." Can't say for your state so maybe check (or don't and just attach it - can't hurt anything).

I'm in Sandy's camp -- if I've got one, I like to attach it (and that's just me, too ). While I was still mostly paper-filing, I finally broke myself from sending non-withholding federals (although the Arkansas rules allowed me to indulge myself). Still, I occasionally sent non-W/H federals anyway because sometimes with multiple 1099s or certain situations, I felt it clarified issues that some IRS slacker might misunderstand and run amuck with (go into CP mode).

It's not that it's so difficult to make and attach copies, it's that we want things to go as smoothly as possible and allow us to remain comfortable with and about our filings (even if minor IRS protocol is breached on occasion). That's important, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
          X