Is efiling mandatory of 1040X?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is efiling mandatory of 1040X?

It's been a few years since I've filed an amended return. Now that efiling is mandatory (for many) for the 2010 and 2011 years, do amended returns also have to be efiled?

No

My software does not allow the efiling of 1040X. My guess is it is not allowed. So my answer is no 1040X can be paper filed and probably has to be paper filed.

Comment

Correct. You still have to paper-file this one. I guess they are not willing to have these go through the system without a human being reviewing. Probably has to do with the explanation on Page 2. No way for a computer to interpret that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
        My software does not allow the efiling of 1040X. My guess is it is not allowed. So my answer is no 1040X can be paper filed and probably has to be paper filed.
        you are correct however, I hear they are working on making the prior three years efilable
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Would it not be nice if "we could file Amended Returns " electronically, the one issue I see with it is the Page 2 explanation, as well as the "added documentation" we might need to provide. That is more than likely why - unless our software can attach the documents we need to provide.

I would also like to be able to electronically respond somehome on a CP 2000 notice, and have it recorded and acknowledged - and not the delays- etc, and the extra paperwork - I guess I should be thankful for the "Fax Numbers" and not wish for too much!

Yes I know "in my dreams"

Sandy

Comment

I hope not

As it currently exists, I hope they do NOT make it e-filable. If they do, they are going to have to allow for more documentation and protocol to accept schedules.

The e-file concept of saving the IRS data entry so a return can be "untouched by human hands" fails miserably with amended returns. The last thing ANY of us want is for an amended return to be simply input without them having to look at it, and give them a good excuse to do nothing.

My amended returns often result in complex calculations to support a change on Line 1, which is their "income" line where they expect most of the changes to be crammed. And there's no way the explanation with these calculations can be condensed into a few lines of verbage that they allow you on page 2.

Admittedly, I'm not a fan of our wonderful new electronic age to begin with. (That's another topic not necessarily for taxes) But e-file an amended return? No way.

Comment

I can see a structure for efiling the simplest kind of changes. They could design the explanation so that you could check a box. For instance,

1. Claiming a dependent formerly omitted.
              2. Itemizing vs standard deduction and vice-versa.
              3. Tuition credits / child care credit / FIT credits not previously claimed.
              4. Additional or corrected W-2 received after filing.
              5. Additional or corrected 1099 received after filing.
              6. Changing filing status.
              7. Adding any deduction from AGI - lines 23 - 35 not prevously claimed.

Then of course, you would have to pull up any additional forms or schedules and complete them as part of the efile process. Anything not falling into the parameters where you can check a box, or boxes, would have to be paper-filed. But it could be done.
              Last edited by Burke; 05-25-2012, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Any idea about NYS?

This amended return involves NYS and they are impossible to get through to. I do enough returns to be subject to the NYS mandate in general.

Any idea whether they mandate the amended return be efiled?

Comment

Originally posted by ttbtaxes View Post
                  This amended return involves NYS and they are impossible to get through to. I do enough returns to be subject to the NYS mandate in general.

Any idea whether they mandate the amended return be efiled?
                  Amended NYS returns must be paper-filed, just like the federal.

Comment

1040X is not under the Efile mandate (Thank God).

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      you are correct however, I hear they are working on making the prior three years efilable
                      Prior year returns, at least for 2010, are already e-fileable at the IRS end. The constraint is that they're limited to returns that meet the MeF requirements for the prior year, and the biggest problem is that most software vendors/transmitters don't support it.

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                      As it currently exists, I hope they do NOT make it e-filable. If they do, they are going to have to allow for more documentation and protocol to accept schedules.

The e-file concept of saving the IRS data entry so a return can be "untouched by human hands" fails miserably with amended returns. The last thing ANY of us want is for an amended return to be simply input without them having to look at it, and give them a good excuse to do nothing.
                      What makes you think that's not what they're doing already?

I've seen amendments messed up because the enclosed Schedule D was treated as an addition to the original one, instead of a replacement. I've also seen amendments returned as incomplete because the Schedule M was missing; granted, some numbers on the M changed, but the bottom line $400 didn't, and there were no numbers that couldn't be derived from the rest of the return.

My amended returns often result in complex calculations to support a change on Line 1, which is their "income" line where they expect most of the changes to be crammed. And there's no way the explanation with these calculations can be condensed into a few lines of verbage that they allow you on page 2.
                      So you expect the transcriptionists to figure it out on their own? Not to indicate any disrespect for the IRS staff who do the data entry on amendments, but it's a tedious, boring job. It's not the type of job that the more experienced, capable people are going to stay at for long.

I don't understand your concern about doing this electronically. The design of MeF is such that e-filing of amendments can be supported, it's just not there yet. And consider this: Many states already require amendments to be complete returns, typically with either a checkbox marked off (in most cases) or a cover sheet (at least for MA).

So assume for the moment that e-filing of a 1040X will actually mean e-filing a complete 1040, along with a 1040X form whose sole purpose is to calculate the net change, i.e. the new refund or balance due. How can that possibly be any worse than an original e-filed 1040? It can't. The only reason that paper-filed amendments aren't sent as totally complete returns is to save on paper, postage, and the manual photocopying or recreation of the unchanged pages - all reasons that date back to the dark ages before e-file.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                        ...Not to indicate any disrespect for the IRS staff who do the data entry on amendments, but it's a tedious, boring job. It's not the type of job that the more experienced, capable people are going to stay at for long.
                        I would give the IRS management credit for knowing that experienced and capable IRS staff are going to be needed for the processing of amended returns, including the ones that come in as the response to letters such as CP2000.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Comment

Working...
                          X