Quckbooks Pro Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quckbooks Pro Upgrade

For you tax preparers that also do books and payroll, do you update your QB each and every year or only if your client upgraded his QB version?

Who has the best prices for QB Pro?

I only upgrade when I am forced to.... I only do after the fact bookkeeping so I don't need payroll updates.

I am going to change from QB because I am tired of some of the hassles associated with it.

Linda, EA

Comment

QuickBooks

We're still using 2009.

My partner uses it every day, for lots of general accounting. I can't stand the program. I do not have it installed on the PC that I use to do tax returns. It uses too much memory and other resources, and it connects to the internet automatically in ways that are very difficult to suppress.

We're also still running Windows XP, and the 2003 version of MS Office.

This outfit is totally legit, although I haven't purchased QB from them:

We've purchased antivirus software and MS Office from them, and had no trouble.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Alternatives

Linda wrote:

I am going to change from QB because I am tired of some of the hassles associated with it.
        What are you changing TO?

Peachtree?

What else is out there?

This looks interesting:

Create beautiful invoices, accept online payments, and make accounting easy—all in one place—with Wave’s suite of money management tools.

But it has some serious limitations. And it's cloud-based, which scares the living daylights out of me.

BMK
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

From NewEgg - $129.99 with FREE shipping.

From NewEgg - $129.99 with FREE shipping.

Lennox C. (Len) Boush, EA, FNTPI
          Heritage Income Tax Service, Inc.
          Portsmouth, VA

Comment

Just upgraded.....

I was also running QB for Accountants 2009 Edition. I was going to have to upgrade by the end of this month or they would discontinue my payroll subscription. I put it in my "to-do" pile so I could upgrade after the cut-off of my next credit card statement. Just last week, I received an e-mail from Intuit with a special offer to purchase what normally costs $399. for $199 for the 2012 Edition. I purchased it and then downloaded it this weekend. Everything seems to be working great.

Just yesterday, I received another "offer" for the same thing, but this time the price was $225.00. I will only upgrade every 3 years which is the maximum amount of time they will allow you to run the software without upgrading. If I get anymore e-mails from Intuit, I'll let you know. Several times each year they do run "specials" which can save you a significant amount of money.

Mo

Comment

Intuit has good sales, especially on prior year and soon-to-be prior year versions. In fact, Staples and Amazon and lots of places have good prices on prior year versions.

From the QB web site:

QuickBooks Pro 2012

New and Improved Features:
              New - Calendar View:
              Stay on top of invoices, billing, & scheduled tasks

Improved - Memorized Transactions:
              Recurring transactions are automated

Improved - Excel Integration Refresh:
              Save your Excel formatting for future reports

See more of what's new for 2012
              QuickBooks Pro 2012 - $229.95 now only $183.96
              Already have QuickBooks? Upgrade for $199.95 now only $183.96
              Last edited by Lion; 05-09-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

QuickBooks Pro 2012 W/QB Enhanced Payroll 2012

When I talked to QB tech support for which the same person turned into a salesman, he told me that you will need to "manually" do payrolll w/QB Pro 2012 while the QB Pro 2012 w/enhanced payroll does it automatically. Is this correct? We are just starting to get into payroll.

Comment

It's well hidden

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
                  When I talked to QB tech support for which the same person turned into a salesman, he told me that you will need to "manually" do payrolll w/QB Pro 2012 while the QB Pro 2012 w/enhanced payroll does it automatically. Is this correct? We are just starting to get into payroll.
                  But you can turn on manual check entry which means you need to pull out the tax tables and calculator. You'll also need to fill the the Quarterlies by hand. You buy a subscription and the calculations are done by QB and (depending on the package) your quarterlies and state forms.

Comment

What Else

I cannot comment on the quality of what is out there but GNUCASH is free and Medlin is a lot cheaper than quickbooks. Medlin has a lot of different modules so you can if you wish buy only what you are going to use. Medlin suffers from the to me lamentable unwillingness to allow the electronic filing of the payroll reports unless you are required to do that in which case they will give you a free tool which they themselves don't seem to think is very good but with their free tech support they think you can get that done. I do electronically everything I possibly can do electronically and mail hard copies myself only as a last resort.

Comment

I am trying out Taxslayer Books since I use TaxslayerPro tax program. It was $99.95 for unlimited companies. I can file all quarterly reports and W-2's through them.
                      So that in itself was a savings for me over what I had paid to file those through esmartpayroll.com.
                      Then I can do bookkeeping for as many companies as I like. Of course, there are many differences. Since my husband is the one using the program now, I can't say for sure what they all are. He complains about some things and likes some things better. We will be able to make a better comparison as the year goes on. But it was easy to do the payroll reports for the first quarter.....as long as the bookkeeping is all posted.

Linda, EA

Comment

I'm following this thread with interest because after having been a cheerleader for QuickBooks for many years, I'm getting a little tired of their shenanigans and am getting ready to make some changes. I don't have anything constructive to offer right now, but I appreciate the discussion that's taking place.
                        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Received from QB in the mail today...

I upgraded about 10 days ago to Quickbooks for Accountants 2012 (from 2009). Today in the mail I received a notice about a two day sale event May 22 & 23 only. Buy QB Accountant 2012 for just $249.95 (I just paid $199). It directs you to their website:
                          intuitaccountants.com/MaySale or phone number 1-877-556-4326. It shows "Save 50%"...just thought I would pass this on. Not as good of a deal as I received via e-mail from them but much better than purchasing at full retail price.

Mo

Comment

Working...
                          X