NT- bookkeeping personal use sales tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT- bookkeeping personal use sales tax

I just figured out this past year that a person in sales has to pay sales tax on items he uses for personal use or items he gives away as samples. Fortunately this person has very small sales tax amounts that are only paid on a yearly basis.

This is a bookkeeping question. I will credit sales tax payable with the amount she should pay for the personal use and samples she gives away. But what do I debit? Is it an expense? At least part of it should be...the tax on the samples. The rest is a personal expense?

As you can tell this one is on extension and I am trying to finish the bookkeeping on it. QB is driving me crazy!!!!! The last 2 invoices I entered with sales tax on them didn't post to the sales tax payable account and I don't know why. The invoice is like all the others. That is one reason I am switching to Taxslayer Books. Don't know if I will like it better, but it can't be worse.

Linda, EA

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
    I just figured out this past year that a person in sales has to pay sales tax on items he uses for personal use or items he gives away as samples. Fortunately this person has very small sales tax amounts that are only paid on a yearly basis.

This is a bookkeeping question. I will credit sales tax payable with the amount she should pay for the personal use and samples she gives away. But what do I debit? Is it an expense? At least part of it should be...the tax on the samples. The rest is a personal expense?

As you can tell this one is on extension and I am trying to finish the bookkeeping on it. QB is driving me crazy!!!!! The last 2 invoices I entered with sales tax on them didn't post to the sales tax payable account and I don't know why. The invoice is like all the others. That is one reason I am switching to Taxslayer Books. Don't know if I will like it better, but it can't be worse.

Linda, EA
    When the amount of the sales tax due is finally calculated, less the discount of course, simply pro rate based on value of goods and debit drawing for personal liability and tax expense for the business use, i.e. sample.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

That is what I was thinking. Thanks for confirmation.

Linda, EA

Comment

Working...
      X