Patronage dividends from worker cooperatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patronage dividends from worker cooperatives

A client works for a collective bakery and received a 1099-PATR showing patronage dividends in Box 1. These would appear to be fully taxable, but it is less clear whether they are subject to SE tax. There seems to be a history of conflicting rulings on this point. Anybody have some words of wisdom on this? And if they are not SE-taxable, would they just be reported on Line 21?
    Evan Appelman, EA

how were the expenses treated?

Patronage dividends are basically a rebate on the purchases at the co-op. If the expenses at the co-op were personal expenses, then the dividends are not taxable. If the expenses at the co-op were Sch C expenses, then the dividends are income on the Sch C. I personally have never put them on Line 21, but I suppose it could happen...

Bill

Comment

You appear to know more than I do

I didn't know there was any option other than to put them on Sch C or F depending on the nature of the activity.

Comment

There are no "purchases."

This is basically an employee rebate. There is also no "business" that my client was engaged in, other than his work as an employee/member of the collaborative. It is perhaps a bit analogous to a draw by a shareholder/officer of a corporation. Apparently, there have been several IRS rulings on this, all more or less in disagreement with one another.
        Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Working...
        X