MFJ Extension MFS Filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MFJ Extension MFS Filing?

I finished my second extended return today and since it turned out that MFS saved them a dollar on the state and made no difference on the Federal we elected to file MFS. I have now begun to wonder if this is going to fly. Does anyone know? If it doesn't then I am going to start filing married couples' extensions as MFS since I feel sure MFS to MFJ would fly.

It's a bird, it's a plane

Originally posted by erchess View Post
    I finished my second extended return today and since it turned out that MFS saved them a dollar on the state and made no difference on the Federal we elected to file MFS. I have now begun to wonder if this is going to fly. Does anyone know? If it doesn't then I am going to start filing married couples' extensions as MFS since I feel sure MFS to MFJ would fly.

Surely this is fine; a lot can happen between April 15 and October 15. Sometimes your crystal ball is in the shop, or your marriage goes down the crapper, ya know?
    Last edited by RitaB; 04-21-2012, 09:09 PM.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
      How much did it cost to file an additional return compared with the dollar saved?
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

OK but

The MFJ extension covers both spouses on MFS. But if the spouse owes don't be surprised if a penalty is charged. Then call the priority line to get it fixed.

Comment

No additional cost

I charge by the time spent entering the data and turn the meter off for the time I spend presenting it to them and making any corrections including but not limited to changes in filing status. My software automates the MFJ vs MFS comparison if I will start it out MFJ and properly label everything as T S or J. The only fly in the ointment is that in most cases the entire form has to be so labeled (for instance Sch A) and said form may actually have a mixture. I just split anything that is arguably joint evenly.

Comment

Working...
          X