NT Password Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT Password Management

How do the rest of you manage all the passwords we all have to deal with? In particular how do you deal with sites like the SSA business site and the IRS e services that require periodic changes of password? My current policy is that I don't use them and I pay a fairly hefty price for that as you might imagine. I have heard that it is possible to buy software that knows your real passwords and puts them in appropriately when you scan your thumb or provide your one master password. Anyone use any such? Anyone have any other recommendations?

I've gone low tech so far, a book where I keep info. For those like my bank with frequent changes required, a whole page where I can note the date and change for each site. For those with frequent changes, I have a password that I can remember except for the 20% of it that changes. That way, my book has only the 20% that changed with the date; the whole password is not written down anyplace. And, if I try from memory and am wrong, I can usually know how the changes trend and guess correctly on my second try. If two wrong guesses, I pull out my book since some will lock me out with three wrong guesses. The 80% I change less frequently. I won't tell you how/where I store my book in a public forum! (I'm an old lady, so I did tell my husband where to find my book and how to use it to "assemble" my passwords in case I get hit by a truck.)
    Last edited by Lion; 04-20-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Keepass

I highly recommend KeePass. It's free and cannot live without it any more. It's easy to understand and you can easily download it on a portable device and have it with you all the time.

Comment

I've been using eWallet from Ilium Software for years, along with their ListPro software. Originally on the Palm systems, I now have it on my iPod Touch along with my desktop. It's not free, but reasonably priced with good support.

Comment

This is interesting. How do these programs work? Is it on your computer and the program is locked so no one could get into it?

I really need this. I have so many passwords and I know that I am not doing this in a safe way and need to change it.

I also have to remember passwords for my moms accounts...I use different ones for her than me.

Linda, EA

Comment

You have a master password to open the file. You can have multiple files for different reasons. Of course, this master password needs to be strong to give sufficient protection.

Comment

Passwords

I simply use an excel spreadsheet and make sure I update when necessry.

Col A names the site, followed by ID, password and secret word
              Confucius say:
              He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

I have a small 8" X 5" notebook. I bought a package of self-affix A - Z dividers and put those on, allowing 3 pages per letter.

For the IRS e-services, I allowed one page because of having to change passwords every six months. I just cross off the old one, enter the new one with date changed, and put a post-it note on my calendar a few days short of the 6th month anniversary. I also do in pencil because one day that page will be filled.

Our state unemployment commission also requires new passwords every six months and I do the same for them.

All other passwords that I set up or need are in this book.

Locked in a fireproof safe under my desk.
                Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                X