Student Claimed Himself-Amend Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Claimed Himself-Amend Return

Student claimed himself on his tax return when the parents should have claimed him. Parent returned was EF'd but rejected because he was already claimed. How long do you wait after the amended return is filed to safely file and claim the child on a electronically filed return?

I waited about six weeks.

Comment

You can't e-file the parents with the kid

Once the kid claimed the exemption the parents will need to paper file.

Comment

You have to amend the child's return so the parents' return will be processed properly. But, the IRS does not change the computer after they receive the amended return. The parents have no option but to mail it in.
        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

I think

I think Bonnie had some success with e-filing the parents' after amending the kid's:

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Paper Return - Best Option

Similar issue - Only self inflicted! I was filing both parents and students.
            I neglected to check "Someone else will claim me" on students return.

E-Filed both @ same time. Wouldn't you know it - Kids return went in first.. We're talking milliseconds!! -- Locked the SS# for student and his $39 return.

Parents rejected due to sons SS# already used.
            created amended for student.
            Paper return for parents with explanation for no e-file.

Stuck them both in SAME Envelope and mailed.
            Parents received their refund in about 4 weeks. Gotta be near record for paper return!!

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
            I think Bonnie had some success with e-filing the parents' after amending the kid's:

http://www.thetaxbook.com/forums/sho...hlight=claimed
            Matthew Jones
            Tax Preparation
            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
            Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Is efile really an option after such a rejection?

Originally posted by RitaB View Post

http://www.thetaxbook.com/forums/sho...hlight=claimed
              I went back and reviewed this post. Is it a known fact that the child actually efiled her own (wrongly, claiming herself) tax return?

My experience has been that once the IRS (efile?) computer "knows" a SSN has been claimed by a person, whether by the person him/herself or by another individual, if the "right" person attempts to claim the same SSN as a dependent it will be rejected for a v-e-r-y long time.

I've always just had the parents bite the bullet and file paper returns. Even assuming an amended return had been filed to repair the damages, that still could involve a long wait while the amended return is processed.

Perhaps I should have (again) tried efiling on October 14, 20xx ??

FE

Comment

Working...
              X