Late filed extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late filed extension

Does anyone know if an extension can be filed late to minimize the late payment and late filing penalties?

I believe it is either you file on time or you don't, and that's that.

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
    I believe it is either you file on time or you don't, and that's that.
    You are right, that's that. But, you COULD print one, mail it with a check for the tax today, and hope for the best. The late PAYING interest and penalties would have been the same regardless of whether or not you got the extension on time. If you can call that a silver lining.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
      You are right, that's that. But, you COULD print one, mail it with a check for the tax today, and hope for the best. The late PAYING interest and penalties would have been the same regardless of whether or not you got the extension on time. If you can call that a silver lining.
      Thanks, Rita. I don't quite believe that this is true. The late payment penalty increases quite a bit if the extension was not filed on time.

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
        Thanks, Rita. I don't quite believe that this is true. The late payment penalty increases quite a bit if the extension was not filed on time.
        Yes, I worded that wrong. I was trying to say you still pay interest on the tax owed, even if you got an extension. It's still late paying even if you're not late filing. I should not have used the word penalty at all.

Sorry, I am not coming across too well today. Sometimes I open my mouth just to change feet. Think I will go clean something.
        Last edited by RitaB; 04-19-2012, 01:07 PM.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post

Sorry, I am not coming across too well today. Sometimes I open my mouth just to change feet. Think I will go clean something.
          Or you could come help me paint my new office. (grin
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Likely too late

I doubt if you can file for an extension after the extension deadline has obviously passed. The best you could hope for now is to stop the interest meter running.

PERHAPS you could slide through a snail-mailed extension (it got lost in the mail ) but my guess is the IRS has ways to check, including postmark/bar codes/etc.

I would assume the IRS has some degree of wiggle room built in, but for circumstances such as these it could be very minimal.

OTOH, I recently sent some tax papers (first-class mail) to a client in an adjacent town. Postage was affixed in the post office by USPS clerk.....and it took four days (Tues to Sat....no weekend issue) for the large envelope to arrive.

FE

Comment

Working...
            X