Amending fee to add K-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amending fee to add K-1

Client calls and needs to amend 2011 tax return due to just received K-1 (only 1). Obviously that will require me to print both Fed and State. 1st year 1040 client. Has no insurance and/or no investments thru me. What would you charge?

fee

My normal amended fee is $75 (have adjusted for certain clients) - The K1 MAY cause you to have to amend and include several other forms (SchB, D, A etc)..

Comment

Charge a reasonable fee foro your work

If you did the original return, and still have it on your computer, the extra "work" due to the addition of a Sch K-1 should be minimal.

What are we talking about? Perhaps new numbers on Sch B or Sch D or even Sch A, add a Sch E, and perhaps a 4797. After entering the K-1 numbers, the tax software should pretty well handle most things automatically. You probably will spend more time "explaining" the individual Form 1040X line changes.

I would charge a reasonable fee for my time. I've never taken the "x copies at y¢ each" approach, but if you wish to go that route that is your prerogative. While my lawyer likes that approach, I don't and I just consider those expenses already to be somewhere in my overall fees charged.

Another issue is the fine line you walk if the client thinks you are taking advantage of him/her for the amount of work presented. This assumes that, otherwise, you would like to see the client next tax season.

I would say the fee stated by luke is in the range, assuming the client does not have to remove the US/state/client copies of the return in a wheelbarrow.

FE

Comment

Working...
      X