Wrong address on return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong address on return

I just efiled a return with the wrong address. it has a refund on fed and state

how can I fix this

thank you

Are you able to retrieve the e-file from your software before drain time?
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Likely too late

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
      Are you able to retrieve the e-file from your software before drain time?
      With most of my recent efilings the so-called drain time (if you mean acceptance by the IRS) has normally been only a couple of minutes.

I assume by then that cow is out of the barn. The "wrong" address should have no effect on the direct-deposited refunds you mentioned.

And there is always Form 8822 which should also solve the problem with a couple of 45ยข stamps.

FE

Comment

Yes, I agree with FE. Send in the 8822 which does need clients signature. I have made that mistake in the past before and just let it slide till next year. But that is the wrong approach because if the IRS needs to contact them during the year they would mail it to the wrong address and it wouldn't be forwarded and that could create big problems. So from now on if I forget to change the address, I will send in an 8822.

Linda, EA

Comment

Drain Time

Drain time is the time IRS taps into your software company's databank.

I had a situation a couple of weeks ago where by accident, I had transmitted the clients' return rather than the extension. Fortunately, it was late one night and I realized it only a minute after I did it - and I was able to retrieve the e-file hours before IRS's drain time of
          2:00AM. So the tax RETURN never got transmitted.

Comment

Originally posted by neallove View Post
            I just efiled a return with the wrong address. it has a refund on fed and state

how can I fix this

thank you
            yet another reason to select direct deposit of the refund
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
              Drain time is the time IRS taps into your software company's databank.

I had a situation a couple of weeks ago where by accident, I had transmitted the clients' return rather than the extension. Fortunately, it was late one night and I realized it only a minute after I did it - and I was able to retrieve the e-file hours before IRS's drain time of
              2:00AM. So the tax RETURN never got transmitted.
              Just how did you "retrieve" it? It is possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                Just how did you "retrieve" it? It is possible?
                At JH it is possible, because of the process the returns go through before being sent to the IRS, plus JH is still using the legacy file system.
                If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

Not being with JH

Originally posted by powerage View Post
                  At JH it is possible, because of the process the returns go through before being sent to the IRS, plus JH is still using the legacy file system.
                  Last night I filed my final (non-extended) tax return shortly after 10 pm. Yeah, the client had been dragging her feet but is also a close friend.

From the time I sent it from my computer until the time the IRS (not the service provider) acknowledged acceptance was less than three minutes.

I seriously doubt if there was much time to "retrieve" anything.

FE

Comment

Retrieving e-filed returns

I use Ultra Tax - and there's a button you press to retrieve previously e-filed returns once in the Connect CS screen.
                    In my case - it was way before IRS drain time, so IRS never saw that return - it was
                    pulled away from Ultra Tax's databank.
                    There would have been problems had drain time occurred and THEN I attempted to
                    retrieve.

Comment

years ago

years ago (before EF) I too sent in a tax return with an incorrect address (the address HAD the correct street, state and zip code but wrong TOWN listed) Post office sent it back to IRS! Tax client was irate! Seems she had kited a check for the $6k refund amount to purchase Cruise tickets and well you know the rest...... (also she INSISTED that I loan her the money to deposit in her checking account till her refund arrived which BTW was several MONTHS later!) OUCH!

Comment

Originally posted by powerage View Post
                        I can't find the announcement, but I thought the IRS was requiring all EROs above a certain size to use MeF - at least until it started breaking down. Granted, many returns would revert to legacy depending on the congestion and time of day, but I'd be surprised they weren't using MeF at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X