Child's income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child's income

Grandparent has a trust set up for all 9 grandchildren. 5 of the grandchildren have unearned income greater than $800. Of the 5 grandchildren 3 have taxable income over $1600.
    Grandfather does not want the parents to pay the taxes due, he wants to pay them. (The parents are not privy to all the details of the trusts). I am preparing individual taxes for the 5 grandchildren. Question is:
    Can I use Grandparents income (higher than parents) on form 8615 or does it HAVE to be the parents?
    I do have the parents information, but like i stated before, grandfather doesn't want parents too involved with these trusts.
    As always, I am grateful and appreciate all your responses.
    Noel
    "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Not sure

But, I think you have to use the parents return. One question, are the kids under age 14? That is when the kiddie tax applies. If 14 or older then just report on the child's tax return.

Matt
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

kid's returns

Do we not have the option to file the kid's own return even it they are under 14? Then Gramps can stroke the tax checks for all?
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

All the children are under 14
        Noel
        "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
        X