State Refund, I need to borrow your brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Refund, I need to borrow your brain

Ok, for 2010 client filed a NR NJ tax return due to client had a NJ W-2. NJ witheld $10K of NJ income tax and client was trying to get it all refunded. Its didnt work completely and NJ refunded my client $6K in summer of 2011. Should have NJ issued my client a 1099-G for the $6K?

Itemized in 2010?

If they itemized in 2010, then the 10k was deducted from taxable income, and whether or not they received a 1099G, the 6k refund is taxable.

If they did not itemize in 2010, the 10k was never deducted from taxable income, and whether or not they received a 1099G, the 6k is NOT taxable.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Forms 1099-G Online

NJ may be like NY and no longer mail Forms 1099-G. You can look it up online at the above link.

Comment

Mailed 1099g

In VA, the 1099G is a flimsy index card-size post card that any fool could zip open, and wa-LAH, Name, Address and yes, FULL SS#.

They shouldn't be mailing them at all, IMO.
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
        X