Errors with social security numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Errors with social security numbers

Having several issues with soc sec not matching. Used maiden name for wife and went through, are IRS computers reverting back a few years? Anyone else experience this?

Social Security Numbers

I had a call yesterday from a client where I prepared the return, e-filed it, got e-file acceptance - then I find out (as I didn't really notice it when I prepared the return) that
    one employer had her Social Security Number wrong.
    Yet - it still cleared e-filing for both Federal and State.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I went into TIN matching, and maiden names and married names all came up as a match. Almost looks like any last name will match. Something's not right, what's the use of TIN matching when it doesn't distinguish first name?

Comment

I had a reject yesterday, and it said that the spouse ss number was used as a primary on another return. I have done their return for over 15 years, so I know my number is correct. I am hopping that someone else just mistyped their number. I told the person to sign up for Identity Guard, and to keep her eye to see that no one has stolen her identity

When I went to my email from them, I found out if I recommended them they would get a 3 month free trial period, I did not know that.

Comment

Originally posted by JenMO View Post
          Having several issues with soc sec not matching. Used maiden name for wife and went through, are IRS computers reverting back a few years? Anyone else experience this?
          What is the name on her SS card? Maybe she never changed it.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            What is the name on her SS card? Maybe she never changed it.
            Had that same thing happen to a couple had been married for 15 to 20 years, first time they efile, about 10 years ago. She had just for got to change names with SS, next year she had a new SS card and made sure I saw it. We still joke about it to this day.

Comment

She had been filing under married name and rejected twice. Not having been used on another return, just didn't match. Anyone trying TIN matching? I get lots of matches with different names, maiden, married, mother in law's name-all matched the same number.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                I had a call yesterday from a client where I prepared the return, e-filed it, got e-file acceptance - then I find out (as I didn't really notice it when I prepared the return) that
                one employer had her Social Security Number wrong.
                Yet - it still cleared e-filing for both Federal and State.
                If it was right on the return, it would have cleared. IRS only matches to their database when efile comes in. Might hear something later. I have one of those too. Waiting......

Had a return 2 years ago where TP called me (spouse, - not primary) and said SSN was wrong on return. Had been wrong for 16 years! IRS never called. I think they are getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                  If it was right on the return, it would have cleared. IRS only matches to their database when efile comes in. Might hear something later. I have one of those too. Waiting......

Had a return 2 years ago where TP called me (spouse, - not primary) and said SSN was wrong on return. Had been wrong for 16 years! IRS never called. I think they are getting better.
                  IRS matches with SS database.
                  They didn't do this 16 years ago
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X