Sch C line 11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sch C line 11?

When client pay cash for contract labor worker, only $4000; Can I put that on line 11 without a 1099 given to them? I always thought they had to give a 1099 to their workers on that line. He said it was only a one time thing.
    THANKS
    SueBaby

He must provide a 1099 to the worker for any amount over $600, even if it's a one-time payment. FOr that much paid in cash, I hope he has some sort of receipt in case the worker squawks.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

He shoulda done it

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
      When client pay cash for contract labor worker, only $4000; Can I put that on line 11 without a 1099 given to them? I always thought they had to give a 1099 to their workers on that line. He said it was only a one time thing.
      THANKS

He should have issued the 1099, and this year you gotta answer that question, so he'll probably get a letter and/or penalty, but yes, you put contract labor on line 11.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I always told 'em they couldn't deduct it if they couldn't prove it.

Comment

It's quite possible that the person he hired didn't have an SSN, in which case he couldn't 1099 him. I had a client last year who was a contractor, and he wanted to hire someone to help him for a few weeks, and when he gave him a W-9, the worker told him if he wanted him to fill out the W-9, he would have to charge twice as much for the labor.

Comment

Originally posted by SueBaby View Post
            THANKS
            I include the name/ssn and ein if available. If it was a one-time thing he still needs to issue a 1099 to the receiver of the money.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by manyhappyreturns View Post
              It's quite possible that the person he hired didn't have an SSN, in which case he couldn't 1099 him. I had a client last year who was a contractor, and he wanted to hire someone to help him for a few weeks, and when he gave him a W-9, the worker told him if he wanted him to fill out the W-9, he would have to charge twice as much for the labor.
              He should have told the guy nevermind and found someone legit!
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                I always told 'em they couldn't deduct it if they couldn't prove it.
                Two different issues. One is a reporting issue and one is a deduction issue. If a client has a canceled check, bill etc that would be proof enough for a deduction. If it truly was cash I would have the client send the 1099 now. You can send them without the ID #. He would have some proof would he not? A bill from the guy? If absolutely nothing to prove it and he doesn't want to send a 1099 now then I would consider not using it as an expense as you said. The client has to take some responsibility for operating in a business-like manner.
                JG

Comment

Absolutely right. Reporting labor expense on a 1099 with or without SSN --which can be done -- does not a deduction make, if it was in cash with no other record.

Comment

SueBaby

Does he have any proof that he paid the guy that much in cash? When he gave him the money did he have him sign a receipt that he paid him?
                    You have to have some proof. Just cash withdrawals wouldn't be proof.

Linda, EA

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                      Does he have any proof that he paid the guy that much in cash? When he gave him the money did he have him sign a receipt that he paid him?
                      You have to have some proof. Just cash withdrawals wouldn't be proof.

Linda, EA
                      No only but what he Said ==and you know how Said goes.
                      SueBaby

Comment

If he's telling me he paid a one-time payment of $4,000 in cash, I'm looking at the other items on his return more cautiously.

After all, why would he need to pay an individual $4,000 in cash?
                        1) The worker doesn't trust him (and maybe I shouldn't either);
                        2) He was trying to participate in an amateurish transaction to scam the tax system;
                        3) Other?

I'm lookig at everything else he tells me/gives me to back up his income & deductions. Depending on what my instincts tell me about the rest of his return, I might decide to hand him his no-charge extension and tell him he needs to take his return to HRB. If his $4,000 deduction happens to gain him some EIC, it's a slam dunk he's going elsewhere.
                        Last edited by JohnH; 04-16-2012, 11:30 AM.
                        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                          If he's telling me he paid a one-time payment of $4,000 in cash, I'm looking at the other items on his return more cautiously.

After all, why would he need to pay an individual $4,000 in cash?
                          1) The worker doesn't trust him (and maybe I shouldn't either);
                          2) He was trying to participate in an amateurish transaction to scam the tax system;
                          3) Other?

I'm lookig at everything else he tells me/gives me to back up his income & deductions. Depending on what my instincts tell me about the rest of his return, I might decide to hand him his no-charge extension and tell him he needs to take his return to HRB. If his $4,000 deduction happens to gain him some EIC, it's a slam dunk he's going elsewhere.
                          YES, he got EIC and YES I told him about the risk I would be taking so YES he did take it somewhere else. The headache afterwards is NOT worth the money he was paying me (probably to lie with him).
                          SueBaby

Comment

Good call.

Comment

Working...
                            X