E-filing after a dependent claimed themself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-filing after a dependent claimed themself

I know there has been some discussion about E-filing a return after a dependent claims themself and then does an amendment to not take the exemption. From my own experience this year I have found that the parents return can be E-filed once the child's amended return is processed and in the IRS computer system. This happened this year and I amended the child's return in Feb and they mailed it in. I decided to wait til I felt the amendment would be processed and try E-filing. Well, yesterday I E-filed the parents return and it was accepted.

GREAT! Got one of those. How did you find out dependent's amended was processed??? Or did you just wing it?

Comment

Amended Return

My guess is that either you need a POA for the dependent, or you could have the dependent call the IRS from your office on speakerphone.

Or...

If the amended return was filed, say, way back in February, then maybe the dependent got a bill or a notice from the IRS, confirming that the amended return was processed.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

I re-read message. Said "when she felt like" and then "try to efile." So I think it was a chance and a prayer. And it worked.

Comment

Yea, no way of knowing if the amendment had been processed. Since about the end of season just decided to wait as long as I could and then try. Might have went thru sooner but just decided to wait as long as I could and then give it a try. What a relief when I saw the acceptance.

Comment

Just had one on the parents, the parents filed the dependent's return, and the "Parents return went tilt" when I efiled. I could not even correct - After 25 years of filing these clients, someone just totally "screwed up the works" and Efile IRS told me it was the Daughter's SSN - and Efile IRS will NOT let me re-sbumit, normally I can correct
            I could not even remove the Daughter as a dependent to efile - All is is on Paper File - What a mess this turned out to be!!!!!

More reasons to make sure the Parents do not let their dependent children file their own tax return. I have 3 of these all of which are going to require Amended Returns somewhere

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
              Just had one on the parents, the parents filed the dependent's return, and the "Parents return went tilt" when I efiled. I could not even correct - After 25 years of filing these clients, someone just totally "screwed up the works" and Efile IRS told me it was the Daughter's SSN - and Efile IRS will NOT let me re-sbumit, normally I can correct
              I could not even remove the Daughter as a dependent to efile - All is is on Paper File - What a mess this turned out to be!!!!!

More reasons to make sure the Parents do not let their dependent children file their own tax return. I have 3 of these all of which are going to require Amended Returns somewhere

Sandy
              are you sure the daughter filed on her own and not as a dependent or this might be an ID theft issue.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
              X