Blood donations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood donations

Young client (student) donated blood last year to the tune of $6800. Anyone care to share an opinion on whether this should be considered self employment income?

Originally posted by dktax View Post
    Young client (student) donated blood last year to the tune of $6800. Anyone care to share an opinion on whether this should be considered self employment income?
    Darn tootin it's se income. Commercial blood banks should be required to furnish 1099-misc forms.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Sure, slap it on schedule C and deduct all the booze and food he consumed during the year to produce the blood! (Just kidding!).

Comment

Thank you for your responses. I do concur. I told the youngster he would owe se tax but I was hoping I was wrong. Some of the SE will be offset by EIC.

Comment

Great

Originally posted by dktax View Post
          Thank you for your responses. I do concur. I told the youngster he would owe se tax but I was hoping I was wrong. Some of the SE will be offset by EIC.
          Well, sure it is. We get to help him.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

WHY is this taxable AT ALL? He exchanged his blood for cash.
            If the blood bank paid him for the value of his blood, he would have NO gain or profit.
            If the blood bank paid him extra for his trouble this excess would be taxable.
            Could this be considered to be a Capital GAIN to be reported on schedule D?
            If so and the gain is considered to have come from Investment property and be
            INVESTMENT INCOME and exceeds $3150 would it disqualify EIC? Probably NOT.
            Would the sale of a kidney be taxable?
            Or if this is reported on schedule C would he be entitled to a COGS amount for the
            value of the blood donated?
            Does anyone have any authority regarding this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by dyne View Post
              WHY is this taxable AT ALL? He exchanged his blood for cash.
              If the blood bank paid him for the value of his blood, he would have NO gain or profit.
              If the blood bank paid him extra for his trouble this excess would be taxable.
              Could this be considered to be a Capital GAIN to be reported on schedule D?
              If so and the gain is considered to have come from Investment property and be
              INVESTMENT INCOME and exceeds $3150 would it disqualify EIC? Probably NOT.
              Would the sale of a kidney be taxable?
              Or if this is reported on schedule C would he be entitled to a COGS amount for the
              value of the blood donated?
              Does anyone have any authority regarding this issue?
              Simply put, the basis of blood is zero. there have been cases before where the taxpayer had entered a small figure on line 21 reflecting gross received less cost of food.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

THis whole question makes no sense.

If he DONATED blood, first he gets no tax donation decuction.

Second- If he was PAID for it - then he DIDN'T DONATE it.

Third - is your client in the business of donating blood?
                Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

What does blood go for, anyhow?

I assumed if the kid made $6,800 bucks, this activity was frequent, regular, and continuous. What does blood go for? Was the kid donating every time he was eligible?

Taxpayers frequently have income reported on Form 1099-MISC. It may represent earnings from a trade or business that should be reported on Form 1040, Schedule C. If not, it generally is reported as other income on Form 1040. Of course, net income from a trade or business is subject to

Comment

young client

If he is under 25, he doesn't qualify for EIC unless he has children...guess that could be the case.

This is a very strange topic.

Linda, EA

Comment

Good catch

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                      If he is under 25, he doesn't qualify for EIC unless he has children...guess that could be the case.

This is a very strange topic.

Linda, EA
                      I didn't think of that. Good point. I kinda think he may be a life-timer, though.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                        I assumed if the kid made $6,800 bucks, this activity was frequent, regular, and continuous. What does blood go for? Was the kid donating every time he was eligible?

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/...l/20091639.htm
                        I'm not sure what blood goes for, but from that large amount, I'm thinking the kid gave multiple times at multiple sites, not informing any of them he was also a donor at another.
                        Normally a place like that (Telecris?) won't accept blood in less than x number of days since the last "donation".

BLood? been there, done that, but not lately. but never for money.
                        There are some things I will NOT do for money.
                        ChEAr$,
                        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Must have been something other than blood, normally no compensation for blood donation and you can only donate every 60 or 90 days I forget which so can't do that many times in one year. No way he made that much for 4-6 blood donations.

Comment

May be a rare blood type, or more likely it's plasma.

Plasma can be extracted a couple of times a week.
                            Last edited by JohnH; 04-12-2012, 06:36 PM.
                            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Interesting

The kid is 26 so definitely does qualify for EIC. Dad dropped off info so I have not spoken to him directly. May not have the whole story.

Comment

Working...
                              X