crazies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crazies!

Had a client came in so I could explain to him WHY his business taxes caused him to have pay taxes on his personal return ("cause we always get a refund") - So I went thru the whole S-Corp pass thru deal with him (for the THIRD time) - then I showed him that his wife with $32K W2 has 1400 WH - he had $12K UE and 1099R for $25K with 0 WH!
    He acted like he understood but he kept coming back to the fact that his wife (new 2nd wife) was giving him GRIEF - :How do I tell her?" - finally I had enough - I told him he should contact the minister would married them and have HIM EXPLAIN to her about "For Better or Worse - For Richer or Poorer" - Now is one of those times......

I love it!! the preacher story, that is. I'd like to see that happen.

My little old lady that just had 2 brain tumors removed and hasn't had to pay taxes in several years owes over $2000 this year. That is all because her broker took out a $13,000 IRA and that caused her social security to be taxable. Stupid broker!! Poor lady!!

Linda, EA

Comment

In an unrelated story

One of my business clients just brought in a letter from IRS, dated 4/16/12, saying they INTEND TO LEVY! Gasp! For shame!

I pulled out the EFTPS acknowledgement and ran a copy of the bank statement with the withdrawal from December on it.

Really??? I need this today??? Heck, is it even today???

Do they have a time machine now, since this was done NEXT week? Looks like they should know my answer, too, since they are operating in the 4th dimension now...
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

I noticed the same future dating from IRS just last week.

And here's another thing. On the 1040 efiled, the overpayment was properly put on the "apply to next year's estimated tax" line, resulting in zero refund or balance due.

Client gets a letter from IRS saying "We corrected your return." (What? my preparer made a mistake? zounds!) Then the letter explained IRS correction by saying it had applied the $501 to 2012 estimates. (sigh)

Another client brought me about a 7 page letter from IRS detailing all the calculations relative to corporation being a semi weekly depositor now. Penalty related to the very first deposit which was late. But client had actually overpayed each one by 2% FICA (don't ask) Anyway, all these pages, and finally IRS said "we have decided to forgive this amount."

duh. (sigh)
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          Another client brought me about a 7 page letter from IRS detailing all the calculations relative to corporation being a semi weekly depositor now. Penalty related to the very first deposit which was late. But client had actually overpayed each one by 2% FICA (don't ask) Anyway, all these pages, and finally IRS said "we have decided to forgive this amount."
          duh. (sigh)
          One of my clients also got this semi-weekly ETFPS-garbage letter for his S-Corp. What? I think the criteria for this is $50K of liabilities? They are nuts. Will tell 'em next week. Sounds like somebody is targeting these up there.

Comment

Crazies

Many years ago I had a MFJ return couple. I would usually deal with the husband, but wife would at times answer some questions when I called. .
            Anyway- husband would come in with all the information the wife let him know about.
            The next day - the wife came in with additional information that the husband DIDN'T know
            about - some brokerage account info wife had jointly with sister (in wife's Soc Sec #) and some bank account interest.-same story.

I'd get the return done - and husband would come in to pick up.
            So I go over the return results and of course they'd owe money.

Husband almost died - "How am I going to explain this to my wife - why we owe so much
            money"? "How am I going to calm her down"?

When I spoke to wife privately without husband around - she'd tell me that husband would
            sign anything on the tax return and wouldn't question anything so long as I prepared it. She didn't want him to know about accounts with sister. Her concern was to report what was taxable, and then play dumb.
            Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Add psychologist to our list of attributes.

Comment

I had a similar situation with a widow who would bring in a 1099-B each year from a discount brokerage with numerous transactions on it. Documentation on basis was always excellent, but one year I had a question about something. She said she'd ask her son and get back to me.

Turns out the son had opened an account several years before in his mother's name with his own money. He just didn't want his wife to know about his trading activity. Eventually the problem went away as Mr Day Trader lost it all. I wonder how he explained to his wife what happened to all that money.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Secretary called client who never returned the 8879 she took with her to get her hubby to sign.

She mailed it with the check and the voucher to the IRS.

Duh! Even though I attach a green slip to the 8879 that says the return is being e-filed and to please sign and return to ME!

One more to my list that I am putting together to "fire". I am culling my client list by about 15% before the next tax season. Another one on the list a a lying preacher. Caught him in a lie this year, though I have suspected it for many years.
                  Last edited by Jiggers; 04-12-2012, 10:39 AM.
                  Jiggers, EA

Comment

Great Idea

Jiggers what a GREAT IDEA - make a list of the clients that need to go away BEFORE next year & do it now while the "memories" are still fresh!

Comment

I've had 3 clients this year who have put off and put off giving me information to finish their returns. It's always small stuff like mortgage interest or cost basis on a single trade.

Lady took 2 weeks to get back to me today on her total medical expenses from her doctor. She was shocked I wasn't literally working on her return that very moment when she called. What in the world could I be doing?

Thankfully, I'm down to about my last 5 returns. Gonna wrap up my tax season Saturday afternoon if all goes well.

Comment

Working...
                      X