What Not To Say To Your Tax Preparer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Not To Say To Your Tax Preparer

First call of the day, new guy, self-employed, dropped off last week, and I warned him then I might not get it done: "We are leaving town for a week, do you have it done?"

Me: "No, when are you leaving?"

Moron: "We are headed out right now."

When he said he was leaving his other preparer for "personal reasons," I guess he meant, "I, personally, am an idiot, and the preparer fired me."

Oh, well, one more extension, and a $50 fee increase for anticipatory damages.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Yesterday morning caller: "I usually do TT, but we got this 1099-C thing for a credit card. Do we have to include that?"

"I can't say for sure. It's possible."

"How much for tax prep?"

"I can't say for sure. Possibly $xxx."

"Oh, no thanks. Oh we don't like to pay a lot for things."

I'm thinking, "You mean you don't like to pay for a lot of things."

Comment

Oh, yeah

Originally posted by BP. View Post
      Yesterday morning caller: "I usually do TT, but we got this 1099-C thing for a credit card. Do we have to include that?"

"I can't say for sure. It's possible."

"How much for tax prep?"

"I can't say for sure. Possibly $xxx."

"Oh, no thanks. Oh we don't like to pay a lot for things."

I'm thinking, "You mean you don't like to pay for a lot of things."
      Yeah, one of my clients was bragging about being "debt free, finally". The way he became debt free became clear when I saw the 1099-C's.

Comment

Yes, I don't think that's what Dave Ramsey had in mind...
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

massage

sounds like Rita needs to get a massage and let some of that tension get rubbed out!

Comment

Hahahaha

Originally posted by luke View Post
            sounds like Rita needs to get a massage and let some of that tension get rubbed out!
            I just scheduled one for Thurs the 19th! So funny to see this right after I made the appointment!

Yes, there are some people I would like to "rub out".

Comment

Oh, a massage sounds so good......I think mine is next week too. I had to beg for an extra one last week. My right arm was killing me. I could hardly move it.

Rita,, you need to check out these new clients a little better....you are really getting some crazies.

My crazies have been with me all along.

MT just texted me...my massage is next Wednesday at 12:30....I'll be thinking of you all.

Linda, EA

Comment

What Not....

Back in the early part of tax season I got a new client. He was referred to me by
                one of my regular 1040 clients. The regular i initially got, not for preparing his own
                1040, but preparing an 1120 for a club he was involved with as Treasurer.
                This new guy took over as Treasurer.
                Anyway - IRS was after this guy for 2 years' non-filed returns. The usual mess -
                divorcee, unemployed, house sold on a short sale, with COD, etc etc. Initially IRS wanted 2009 and 2010 filings. 2009 was MFS, 2010 was Single. Divorce took place 2010 as did the short sale of residence. I asked him to get info from his attorney regarding splitting of house with ex-wife as house was jointly owned.
                So I get 2009 done - and yes - he paid me an advance for both.
                Never heard from him again.
                Came March 15th - the old guy came in for his 1040 - so I reminded him I hadn't
                heard from the new Treasurer for 1120 filing (calendar year). Still no word.

Yesterday afternoon - I get a call from this guy who left a message on my answering machine that he wants to come by and have me do his 2010 and 2011 returns along
                with the corporation return.

I returned his call and very frankly told him - call me Monday - I'll see about getting
                an extension for 2011 - but that's all until the end of next week.
                Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
                  I just scheduled one for Thurs the 19th! So funny to see this right after I made the appointment!

Yes, there are some people I would like to "rub out".
                  And apparently some clients rub you the wrong way. (grin

Now that you mentioned a massage, that reminds me I used to get those weekly in Saigon.

Sure did relieve the tensions during that war.
                  Last edited by ChEAr$; 04-11-2012, 04:26 PM.
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                  X