No announcement yet.

Efiling Prior Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the forms for each tax year you can send.

It does not appear the IRS accepted 1040-X for ANY year yet on the 1040 MEF system. I know it's supposed to be a feature of MEF, but based on the information on the IRS website, it seems it's a feature not yet implemented.

Also, both 2009 and 2010 returns can be sent by MEF, if your software supports it. However, the forms are more limited (as covered here, like moving expenses can't be filed for 2009 or 2010 returns but can be for 2011 returns.)

Also, it's the current year and the 2 prior years, not 3. So 2010 returns should be good for processing year 2013 so another 1.5 years to submit 2010 returns via MEF, if your software supports it.
    Last edited by David1980; 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rjholmes View Post
      I think the 1040x still has to be mailed. ATX supports efiling 2010 returns if they qualify for MeF. I believe that is the only year because years prior to that were not in that format.
      You are right about that because I went back to 2009 and tried it. It said "no." Client got a letter from the IRS saying they had his estimated payments but no return ever received. He can't find his copies either. So we are mailing duplicate in, $700+ refund coming. I guess he never missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
        Here's the forms for each tax year you can send.

It does not appear the IRS accepted 1040-X for ANY year yet on the 1040 MEF system. I know it's supposed to be a feature of MEF, but based on the information on the IRS website, it seems it's a feature not yet implemented.

Also, both 2009 and 2010 returns can be sent by MEF, if your software supports it. However, the forms are more limited (as covered here, like moving expenses can't be filed for 2009 or 2010 returns but can be for 2011 returns.)

Also, it's the current year and the 2 prior years, not 3. So 2010 returns should be good for processing year 2013 so another 1.5 years to submit 2010 returns via MEF, if your software supports it.
        Thank you for this info. And that answers my question about 9465.

Comment

Working...
        X