multiple 5329 on tax return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple 5329 on tax return

I have a client who qualifies for 2 exceptions to the 10% early distribution penalty -- she bought a house and has a child in a pricey college (AGI too high to claim any other education-related tax benefits). My software won't let me put 2 5329's on the return, nor will it allow multiple exceptions on 1 form.

Two questions:
    a) After too much time spent researching, I cannot find an IRS cite that says 2 5329's are not allowed, and
    b) Can I paper file the return if 2 (or more) are allowable?

Thanks all.

According to the IRS Website, only one is allowed to be efiled unless you are filing MFJ, then you are allowed one for each spouse. Bad choice of words, but I would assume, you could paper file two!

Comment

Look at

Originally posted by snowshine View Post
      I have a client who qualifies for 2 exceptions to the 10% early distribution penalty -- she bought a house and has a child in a pricey college (AGI too high to claim any other education-related tax benefits). My software won't let me put 2 5329's on the return, nor will it allow multiple exceptions on 1 form.

Two questions:
      a) After too much time spent researching, I cannot find an IRS cite that says 2 5329's are not allowed, and
      b) Can I paper file the return if 2 (or more) are allowable?

Thanks all.
      See if you can't use Code 12, and possibly attach an explanation on that "Elections and Statements" Form.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
        use Code 12
        Agree. Multiple exceptions - Code 12. Instructions 5329.

Comment

Working...
        X