X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reject EF worst nightmare for april

So what does this reject mean - looks like I can not correct -----
    Identity Theft - someone is using Taxpayers/dependents ID #
    Contact the IRS or paper file. Contacting your software provider will not resolve this type of reject. Taxpayer or Spouse SSN was claimed as an exemption on the return and was also used as a Dependent's SSN on Form 1040 or Qualifying Child on Form 1040-SS(PR) as a Taxpayer or Spouse SSN. Dependent's SSN was used as a Primary SSN or Secondary SSN on another return and was claimed as an exemption on that return.
    Fortunately I have refunds on this return - so maybe I can file extensions????

Sandy

File extensions. This is ugly. A huge problem in Florida, and probably spreading.

Comment

This was a multi state return from Ohio, Rhode Island, New York
      I have had this client for over 25 years!
      Go Figure
      Fortunately I do have refunds on Fed and 2 of the States - So I can file the extension forms and hope they go through - or I will have to physically mail them if the efile extensions tilt.

Comment

Call IRS

Sandy, I called PPS to ask about a return for a client who had had her identity stolen last year. They transferred me to the correct department. The lady was extremely helpful. She explained all the scenarios and what to do. In fact, I could hardly get off the phone she was so friendly and helpful. Nice change!

Anyway, just give them a call and they will walk you through what to do with the return.

Linda,EA

Comment

Thanks Linda,
          Do I need a POA to do this??

Sandy

Comment

Not if you are third party designee. But I think I had her come by and sign one just in case I needed it.

Linda, EA

Comment

Did I miss something?

I have, unfortunately, faced a scenario before when a dependent's SSN had been "used" by someone unknown. (Actually, six years in a row.)

The efile was always rejected.

It was my understanding that, no matter what I did, an efiled return would continue to be rejected and the only solution was to file a paper return (or, of course, remove the dependent from the tax return and then efile). We just gritted our teeth and filed paper returns each year after the efile had initially failed.

While filing an extension might give some breathing room for now, I thought a paper return was the only choice available under these circumstances.

FE

Comment

FEDuke
                I am just asking - as I have not encourntered before -- obviously need options

From reject I can not determine if parents SSN or Dependents

S

Comment

I've had many clients coming in the office talking about a local news station report on ID Theft and tax returns being filed.

The news story was about a younger woman. Someone else is claiming to be her and filing tax returns. It has been happening for three years. She talked like the IRS would not do anything. She has been unable to get her tax refunds for that time frame. Reporter said that more than likely she would have to go to tax court where the IRS would just turn over the refund.

I have told clients that I really think it could be worked out before all that happens and in my opinion I believe that she should have got the refunds if working with a professional.

For all of you that have dealt with this, does the taxpayer get their refund eventually? For example within a year. Just really wanting to know on this.

Comment

Took

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                    I've had many clients coming in the office talking about a local news station report on ID Theft and tax returns being filed.

The news story was about a younger woman. Someone else is claiming to be her and filing tax returns. It has been happening for three years. She talked like the IRS would not do anything. She has been unable to get her tax refunds for that time frame. Reporter said that more than likely she would have to go to tax court where the IRS would just turn over the refund.

I have told clients that I really think it could be worked out before all that happens and in my opinion I believe that she should have got the refunds if working with a professional.

For all of you that have dealt with this, does the taxpayer get their refund eventually? For example within a year. Just really wanting to know on this.
                    two years for a client of mine (2009 refund received in 2011). Also he was assigned a special pin number so he could file his 2011 tax return electronically.

Comment

Right, an once you get the special PIN, another person CANNOT file with your SSN, from what I understand. It's not just to e-file, it's to file period.

Comment

Well before I try electronic file extension forms, I am waiting to see if OH and NY accept their State returns, if those are accepted as they are not Piggyback, I only have to deal with the Federal and RI piggyback return.

If electronic extension fails, I still have a few days to mail the Extension Forms via "Snail Mail" and I do have refunds - Thank goodness.

What a mess this is!

Looks like some type of Identity issue to me - but then what do I know

Guess I better get a POA from this client for future use and looks like they may need to get the special PIN #

Thanks everyone for the experience and feedback

Sandy

Comment

Above gives IRS telephone number, Form # for affidavit, etc., to get help yourself and for your client.

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
                            FEDuke
                            I am just asking - as I have not encourntered before -- obviously need options

From reject I can not determine if parents SSN or Dependents

S
                            Call the efile line and they will tell you exactly who's SSN was used.
                            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                              Sandy, I called PPS to ask about a return for a client who had had her identity stolen last year. They transferred me to the correct department. The lady was extremely helpful. She explained all the scenarios and what to do. In fact, I could hardly get off the phone she was so friendly and helpful. Nice change!

Anyway, just give them a call and they will walk you through what to do with the return.

Linda,EA
                              Was the info too lengthy to let us know what she said?
                              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                              X