Grantor letter and form 6781

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grantor letter and form 6781

I have a Grantor Letter with a line for "Long-term capital gain from form 6781" and the total is $3769.

I am not sure whether to make a direct entry giving the total LTCG of 3769 OR actually DO the 6781 which computes a different figure for the Sch D.

I don't do trusts or estates, so I am not real sure where this is coming from.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Should work out to the same numbers, although 6781 may split into long-term, short-term.

Comment

Grantor not balancing?

Am I working too hard on this Grantor Letter? Is it really that I am simply to match the figures from the letter to the tax return? I can do that.. The whole issue now is that the report from the financial institution that is doing stock trades will not balance to the Sch D.

Here is the reason given from the atty's office. I told her that the stock trades do not match the Grantor letter:

"The (stock trade, my substitution) statement is the source for the gains and losses; however, there were sale(s) of partnership(s) and we had to adjust the basis on those further per the partnership K-1. You may not be able to reconcile all the numbers to the 1099 because we made some adjustments. The total gains and losses numbers are on the grantor letter."
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Working...
      X