medical deduction for personal care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medical deduction for personal care

I am research the medical deduction possibility for personal attendance and care for an elderly client with severe dementia. In the Tax Book under deductible medical expenses, I am reading on page 4-7 under chronically ill “…personal care services that are required…” #2 He or she requires …supervision… protected from threats to health and safety…”
    Am I correct in assuming this covers, someone to stay with a husband with severe dementia while the wife is out for grocery shopping for example. If I am correct where could I find this in an IRS publication for documentation? Thank you in advance for your help.

Linda

Pub 17 explains whether it is deductible.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by ljwalters View Post
      I am research the medical deduction possibility for personal attendance and care for an elderly client with severe dementia. In the Tax Book under deductible medical expenses, I am reading on page 4-7 under chronically ill “…personal care services that are required…” #2 He or she requires …supervision… protected from threats to health and safety…”
      Am I correct in assuming this covers, someone to stay with a husband with severe dementia while the wife is out for grocery shopping for example. If I am correct where could I find this in an IRS publication for documentation? Thank you in advance for your help.

Linda
      I take it as medical expense under these circumstances.

Comment

Pub. 502 page 11 "Maintenance and personal care services"

Comment

There are some prior discussions on this deduction for dementia and alzheimers "medical deduction"" Try the Search box under each tag or medical deduction - Unfortunately I just dont have time right now to give you the links.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
          X