Discouints in off season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discouints in off season

Quickly before all of your take off for your paradise islands for the off season, what type of discount if at all do you give to individuals and/or Business returns w/personal tax returns when they can wait till June, July or Aug?

No discounts, because I don't consider there to be an off-season since I work year-round. On the other hand, I don't charge to file exensions either since I benefit from extensions as much as the client - maybe that's an indirect discount.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Me, too

I work all year as well. If people can't live with an extension, they are free to do something else. Most of my folks getting extensions have done it to themselves anyway.

If they ever all get it together, I may change my policy.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Policy change?

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
        I work all year as well. If people can't live with an extension, they are free to do something else. Most of my folks getting extensions have done it to themselves anyway.

If they ever all get it together, I may change my policy.
        So, you won't be changing your policy?
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

25%, because I and my staff are all full until April15th. Can't do more without even more staff. An extension is an additional return for the rest of the year.
          Christopher Mewhort, EA
          mewhorttax.com

Comment

Discount?

To offer a discount for an extension would be to reward clients for filing late, would it not?

I do free extensions. Not to encourage late filers, but to save my sanity this week.
            "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by Possi View Post
              So, you won't be changing your policy?
              Nope, I don't see it happening here.
              If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Extensions

I charge new clients $100 for extensions but that counts toward the eventual cost of their return which is at the in season rates. I don't charge existing clients for extensions and I don't charge new clients for extensions done for my convenience despite the fact that they got me their information by 4/1.

Comment

If a client came after 15 March or didn't have all info by then, no discount. For the three or so that I asked to go on extension, I'll make it worth their while to wait. One is a very inexpensive return that I will probably not discount but will probably ship it out to her in CO at my expense instead of at hers. One might owe, so I'll probably base the discount on her interest, if I don't get it calculated closely enought for an extension payment. Another I'll probably give 10% or more to make it meaningful, noticeable to her. I actually put a line on my invoice, something like Thank you for going on extension discount -$100 or whatever amount.
                  Last edited by Lion; 04-09-2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I already live in the Paradise Islands. No discount for requiring me to file an extension and having to work after the tax season.
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                    X