Installment Agreement Up To $25,000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installment Agreement Up To $25,000?

Taxpayer owes $63K in federal taxes. Was going to set up an installment agreement but the software warns that "agreement above $25K not allowable." So I am not allowed to EF the installment agreement. What is the best suggestion seeing he doesn't have the complete amount. He could pay down to $25K. Is installment agreement allowable then?

I've seen several situations in which the client paid the balance down to get just under the $25K and then requested an automatic installment agreement.

Incidentally, being over $25K doesn't mean he can't get one - he just has to go through an application process. The under-$25K / 5yr rule just qualifies him for a streamlined process.

Also, if he's a sole proprietor, is no longer in business, and meets a few other rules, he may be eligible for a special installment agreement for up to $50K and a 6-year repayment period.

Here's the link:
    Last edited by JohnH; 04-09-2012, 11:56 AM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by zeros View Post
      Taxpayer owes $63K in federal taxes. Was going to set up an installment agreement but the software warns that "agreement above $25K not allowable." So I am not allowed to EF the installment agreement. What is the best suggestion seeing he doesn't have the complete amount. He could pay down to $25K. Is installment agreement allowable then?
      If he pays down to 25K then yes. However I would suggest that you get a POA and set up a payment plan directly with the IRS. Client will need to provide an income/expense form that is used for OIC purposes.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

If he can get it down from 63K$ quickly enough to 50, then can do the installment agreement since IRS raised the thresh hold a bit.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
        X