SSN error message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSN error message

Error message that spouse's name and SSN do not match. She said that she went to SS office shortly after marriage and had the name change entered.

What is quickest way to straighten this out so return can be filed.

Name Change

What is quickest way to straighten this out so return can be filed.
    Tell her to go back to the Social Security office, and have her name changed back.

-
    -
    -
    -

Just kidding.

Have you seen her new social security card? Is there any possibility that the spelling is screwed up, or that her new last name is actually both names, with a hyphen, and she forgot to explain that part?

If you know for sure that you have entered the new name correctly, then the problem may be that the name change was processed too recently, and the SS masterfile that the IRS is using doesn't have the new name yet.

When did she get married? If it was September or later, then I'd bet that the IRS files just haven't been updated yet. If she got married, say, way back in April, then there's something else going on.

If the problem is that the name change was too recent, then you can simply resubmit the return with her old name.

I would probably just try that and see what happens.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

File the return using the original name. It takes less than five minutes to know if the return has been accepted . Take it from there
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Yeah I reposted with the previous name and it was accepted last night. Now do I have to have them come back in to sign a new 8879.

Comment

Signature

Now do I have to have them come back in to sign a new 8879.
          I think you'll get different opinions on that one, but my answer is no.

If you didn't change any numbers on the form, then it doesn't have to be redone.

BMK
          Burton M. Koss
          koss@usakoss.net

Comment

In the future...get a copy of all SS cards that appear on the return and I usually tell the client not to change name with SS until after they receive their refund or the return has been accepted by the IRS.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
            X