Danger of self-prepared biz returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danger of self-prepared biz returns

I am starting on new thread on this since I believe this is an important issue.

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
    I have a new client that is doing his own S-corp...'nothing to it'. At first I thought it was a mess, but I have his QB, we went over some bookkeeping issues, and except for the fact that I don't know his basis (and it's likely I'll be computing it after the season), I'm comfortable with the numbers on the k-1.
    So here is what I have run into with a client who did his own 1065 after I did the first one. His 1065 is really simple in the sense that everything repeats every year just the numbers change. The only thing not simple is basis since I have no clue about basis and he has small losses (rental activity).

Only recently did it dawn on me that I cannot take any losses on tax return unless I know his basis. I am sure he has enough basis but that does not justify not knowing the exact figure. I did some research and found out that we are required to have a basis worksheet on file for 1065 and attach same to tax return for 1120-S (if losses are claimed). Call me ignorant but I never knew that.

Unless you have a good QB file where you have all details there is no way to figure out basis on a self-prepared biz tax return because these details are not correct (at least with this on client).

Basis

Are you saying that the return has no basis in reality?

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post

Only recently did it dawn on me that I cannot take any losses on tax return unless I know his basis. I am sure he has enough basis but that does not justify not knowing the exact figure. I did some research and found out that we are required to have a basis worksheet on file for 1065 and attach same to tax return for 1120-S (if losses are claimed). Call me ignorant but I never knew that.

Unless you have a good QB file where you have all details there is no way to figure out basis on a self-prepared biz tax return because these details are not correct (at least with this on client).
      That is why I quit doing S-Corps/partnerships 3 years ago. And I just turned down an S-Corp who said "his is really simple." Really. Do you have payroll? "No". Never taken a salary. Why did you call me? "Had falling out with old preparer." Wanted to file extension. Told him S-Corp extension was three weeks ago. Sorry.

Comment

Almost there myself....

I am considering giving up all business returns unless I also do their bookkeeping. For the second year, a client dropped off their business records. Of the two line items I have personal knowledge of (their payroll and my fees)....both numbers they reported are incorrect.....which obviously shines a light on the items of which I know nothing about.

I think I can make more money taking on basic returns than taking on these headaches. My thoughts might change once tax season is over and I have a chance to rest....but I think at times I'm getting too old to "babysit" clients.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Mo

Comment

My self-prepared S-corp client has already extended the S-corp, and the personal returns are going on extension too. I figure I'll have time to figure out the basis.

Comment

Why would someone self prepare a Corp

and then hire a pro for the personal? I've never run across this. I have seen the other way around, but I tell my clients if I do the Corp you really should let me do the personal since it all flows together.

To each their own I guess.

Comment

New spouse is insisting on pro for personal; and with same-sex couples, the individual can be harder than an S-corp!

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Sheets View Post
                I am considering giving up all business returns unless I also do their bookkeeping. Mo
                That was my dilemma. And when I really gave it enough thought, I didn't WANT to do the bookkeeping. Others may relish the year-round income. I want only to work half the year, winding up all tax returns by 6/30. Payroll and other issues become a real headache, and deadlines too which I am not interested in having to meet. I do too much travelling in the other half of the year.

Comment

When I first started learning tax preparation... the way I was taught was to always take the loss. The shareholder basis was never kept up with and in many cases neither was the balance sheet.

After I went into business for myself that is when I learned more about shareholder basis, distributions, etc. So now I know they are limited. But it is hard explaining that to a client that had another accountant take the losses for years.

I have two clients that I prepare the corporation but they do the personal. One was not allowed the loss from the S-Corp. I tried to explain to him and he seemed to understand. I ended up telling him he was not allowed the loss... but I did not know what TT would do when the K-1 was entered. I told him that I would really like to their personal.... wife wanted to do it.

Comment

Working...
                  X