Social networking business code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social networking business code

By any chance anyone done or doing a Sch C for a "social networking" business and if so what business code did you use?

Social Networking

I haven't done one, but I could offer a couple suggestions...

What exactly does this business do? Social networking for clients of the business?

For example, a mom-and-pop restaurant, where the owner might have a computer with an internet connection somewhere, but it's still running Windows ME. And he has no idea what Facebook or Twitter really are.

So he pays your client to set up and manage Facebook and Twitter accounts for the restaurant?

Or maybe someone else, who is much more sophisticated, but doesn't have time to manage social networking, so they hire someone to do it for them? Like, say, someone running for a local political office?

Your client is in the public relations business. Their job is to manage other people's online public identity and image.

541800 Advertising and related services
    541600 Management, scientific and technical consulting services
    519100 Other information services (including news syndicates & libraries, Internet publishing & broadcasting)
    518210 Data processing, hosting & related services
    591264 Spin doctors

Okay, the last one is a joke.

Factoid: For 519100, the text I entered above is taken verbatim from the 2011 instructions for Schedule C--including the capital I in the word internet.

In the Schedule C list of codes, no other word is capitalized, unless it is at the beginning of an entry.

So someone at the IRS apparently thinks that the word internet is a proper noun.

Which says something about how little the IRS really understands about the internet.

Maybe the guy who wrote that stuff in the Schedule C book was hired when Bush was President. He used the Internets every day, remember?

(When I was in elementary school, the word president was capitalized when referring to the President of the United States, and was not capitalized in other contexts. I don't know whether this has changed. Sometimes these things actually do change, in new editions of style manuals. But I don't think any current manual of style advises capitalization for the word internet.)

BMK
    Last edited by Koss; 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM.
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Working...
    X