H of H now to MFJ later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H of H now to MFJ later

New client has lived apart from her husband for three years. There are issues with his tax info ...... a complicated situation involving a small business that has changed hands somehow......no one quite knows exactly how yet.

I'm considering filing head of household for her, especially if we can amend to MFJ later if it helps. She is anxcious to file because of the FAFSA.

I know that you can file MFS and then amend it to MFJ later (but not the other way around). It would seem that the same "logic" would allow us to do what I propose.

Um, no.

MFJ to MFS is ok... not the other way around.

I don't know of any reason you could not go from HH to MFJ except that it sounds like a really bad idea. If she is poised to receive EIC because of HH filing status, I most certainly would not do it.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Is she eligible to file HOH

Ignore - missed part of the question
      Dusty

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
        MFJ to MFS is ok... not the other way around.

I don't know of any reason you could not go from HH to MFJ except that it sounds like a really bad idea. If she is poised to receive EIC because of HH filing status, I most certainly would not do it.
        Umm Double No... You can go from MFS to MFJ... You can only Separate a MFJ return until 4/15 of that tax year.

Chris

Comment

Um, yes.

Originally posted by spanel View Post
          Umm Double No... You can go from MFS to MFJ... You can only Separate a MFJ return until 4/15 of that tax year.

Chris
          OMGosh, my brain went numb! LOL
          "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Originally posted by spanel View Post

Chris
            But can you go from H of H and MFS to MFJ ?

Comment

Originally posted by LCP View Post
              But can you go from H of H and MFS to MFJ ?
              Yes. You just cant go from MFJ to MFS/HH after 4/15.

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X