Mileage Deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage Deduction

Taxpayer works in the file production industry in Los Angeles, CA and has five W'2's and three 1099's from different film production companies. He stated that in Los Angeles, the IRS allows people in the file production industry to deduct mileage for anything outside of a 30 mileage radius of Los Angeles. I know that a taxpayer who has no regular place of work, but ordinarily works in the metropolitan area where they live can deduct the daily transportation costs between home and a temporary work site outside the metropolitan area. But I don't know how Los Angeles and the suburbs could be considered just 30 miles. Taxpayer is telling me all the film industry in the Los Angeles area use that 30 mile radius - is anyone familar with this?

Originally posted by peggysioux View Post
    Taxpayer works in the file production industry in Los Angeles, CA and has five W'2's and three 1099's from different film production companies. He stated that in Los Angeles, the IRS allows people in the file production industry to deduct mileage for anything outside of a 30 mileage radius of Los Angeles. I know that a taxpayer who has no regular place of work, but ordinarily works in the metropolitan area where they live can deduct the daily transportation costs between home and a temporary work site outside the metropolitan area. But I don't know how Los Angeles and the suburbs could be considered just 30 miles. Taxpayer is telling me all the film industry in the Los Angeles area use that 30 mile radius - is anyone familar with this?
    Never heard of this. If he is employed by more than one company and goes to more than one jobsite a day then the mileage from jobsite to secon jobsite is deductible. Just follow the mileage rules for a 2106..
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
    X