Business Put in Wife's name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Put in Wife's name

Times are tough; some may be applying for that disability or trying to extend that unemployment check. Long time business in husbands name now being changed into
    wife's name so as not to disrupt the disability check? Anything I am not seeing here?

Do you see the fraud in their plan? Don't wanna be a co-conspirator.
    "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Well

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
      Times are tough; some may be applying for that disability or trying to extend that unemployment check. Long time business in husbands name now being changed into
      wife's name so as not to disrupt the disability check? Anything I am not seeing here?
      I suspect you are getting the picture pretty clearly. Unless wifey actually took over the work, it appears that we are all seeing our tax dollars being stolen.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Not so fast now.

To the OP. Just how is business being "put in wife's name?"

What is present/former ownership form? proprietorship? corporation? LLC?

Legally he can probably give the business to his wife no matter which form it is in.
        But all the i's should be dotted and t's crossed. A lawyer should be involved to document the
        transfer. If a corporation all he has to do is give shares of the corporation to her and
        record same on transfer books.

THEN.... what she does will be fraudulent if she doesn't pay him a salary for the work he does. You should discuss this with him, provided you feel comfortable doing so. that depends on how long you've known your client.

point out the implications in so far as social security is concerned, to name a primary concern I might have.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          Not so fast now.

To the OP. Just how is business being "put in wife's name?"

What is present/former ownership form? proprietorship? corporation? LLC?

Legally he can probably give the business to his wife no matter which form it is in.
          But all the i's should be dotted and t's crossed. A lawyer should be involved to document the
          transfer. If a corporation all he has to do is give shares of the corporation to her and
          record same on transfer books.

THEN.... what she does will be fraudulent if she doesn't pay him a salary for the work he does. You should discuss this with him, provided you feel comfortable doing so. that depends on how long you've known your client.

point out the implications in so far as social security is concerned, to name a primary concern I might have.
          I wouldn't say "if you feel comfortable doing it". I would say point out the pros and cons (legality verus illegality) and let him make his own decision. Should he decide to engage in fraud then send him out the door.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
            I wouldn't say "if you feel comfortable doing it". I would say point out the pros and cons (legality verus illegality) and let him make his own decision. Should he decide to engage in fraud then send him out the door.
            You misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying if you feel comfortable discussing it with him. It's of course not up to us to recommend any course of action unless asked.

After any transfer, what the wife then does with the business and how she operates it is her affair.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
            X